Is Sheffield Bigger Than Manchester?

At least we don't have to put up with all those silly parka clad, bow legged monkey types shuffling all over the place, 'mad fer it' with their 'melons twisted'.

But it's precisely that Neanderthal attitude that gives them more than an edge musically.

Regardless of the stats Sheffield to me doesn't 'feel' like a city, its more of a small town with a big chip on its shoulder which is insecure about its size.

..sounds like your typical male BNP member :hihi:

But it's precisely that Neanderthal attitude that gives them more than an edge musically.

Anyone who knows their onions will be aware that musically Manchester lost its 'edge' many moons ago (Joy Division perhaps). Since The Smiths it has been responsible for the most self-referential, formulaic, self congratulatory drivel imaginable, easy to consume, easy to forget, even Stone Roses were just a flabby Byrds, Happy Mondays were comical though I'll give you that!

Edited by beefface

1 London 7,172,091

2 Birmingham 970,892

3 Liverpool 469,017

4 Leeds 443,247

5 Sheffield 439,866

6 Bristol 420,556

7 Manchester 394,269 (not Greater Manc.)

8 Leicester 330,574

I know this has been discussed loads of times before, but it never palls, does it? :)

Where did you get these figures and what year are they from, Dragonfall? In the 2001 census, Bradford had a higher population than Liverpool, and Sheffield pop was around 513,000 and Leeds was over 700k.

I know this has been discussed loads of times before, but it never palls, does it? :)

Where did you get these figures and what year are they from, Dragonfall? In the 2001 census, Bradford had a higher population than Liverpool, and Sheffield pop was around 513,000 and Leeds was over 700k.

Those would be based on the 2001 census and tie in with the stats on this site:

http://www.lovemytown.co.uk/Populations/TownsTable1.asp

Regardless of the stats Sheffield to me doesn't 'feel' like a city, its more of a small town with a big chip on its shoulder which is insecure about its size.

I totally agree, Sheffielders have such delusions of grandeur, and the whole Sheffield vs Leeds thing makes us look like ikkle babies.