Is Sheffield Bigger Than Manchester?

I totally agree, Sheffielders have such delusions of grandeur, and the whole Sheffield vs Leeds thing makes us look like ikkle babies.

It's not about 'delusions of grandeur' - Sheffielders know that the city could do so much better. The comparison with Leeds is only in that, as another northern industrial city, it seems to get it's act together & be progressive - there's loads more activity & developments going on there. There's no reason that Sheffield should be denied similar, just because it's been incompetently run over the past 10-20yrs.

It's not about 'delusions of grandeur' - Sheffielders know that the city could do so much better. The comparison with Leeds is only in that, as another northern industrial city, it seems to get it's act together & be progressive - there's loads more activity & developments going on there. There's no reason that Sheffield should be denied similar, just because it's been incompetently run over the past 10-20yrs.

Maybe its just the impression I get on this forum, in real life I never hear any of it.

Anyone who knows their onions will be aware that musically Manchester lost its 'edge' many moons ago (joy division perhaps). Since the Smiths it has been responsible for the most self-referential, formulaic, self congratulatory drivel imaginable, easy to consume, easy to forget, even Stone Roses were just a flabby Byrds, Happy Mondays were comical though I'll give you that!

I suppose like many things it comes down to a personal taste. Perhaps I credit them with more than they deserve. It's not a music scene I particularly follow though i'm partial to a spot of Oasis, Doves and a few others but these are from by gone eras as you rightly point out.

Manchester is a much bigger city, all you have to do is go over there and visit, the city centre is at least twice as big as Sheffield if not three times.

The official population of Manchester is only small because like London, Greater Manchester is divided into several different local councils.

Trafford is one such council but it is home to Manchester United and a lot of what is just suburban Manchester.

Officially, London is only the City of London which is about one square mile!

1 London 7,172,091

2 Birmingham 970,892

3 Liverpool 469,017

4 Leeds 443,247

5 Sheffield 439,866

6 Bristol 420,556

7 Manchester 394,269 (not Greater Manc.)

8 Leicester 330,574

Manchester seems bigger because Salford is cheek by jowl and the border is solely a line on the map , where as Sheffield's borders usually involve green space ( a lot of the southern borders and all the way around the east and North of sheffield or at least a noticeable drop in density of building etc ( eastern and south eastern border)

So Doom, the City of London has a population of 11,000, ergo Sheffield is bigger than London ? Anyone who's lived in both places would realise that you could fit Sheffield into Manchester x 3. Seems to be a bit of male member wagging here, sorry to be crude. I actually think that Manchester is more of a second city than Birmingham. Sheffield is less culturally and ethnically diverse. Manchester can feel threatening violent and intimidating, Sheffield feels much safer. Manchester and Sheffield must be great places to be a a student. The West Yorkshire connurbation with Leeds at the centre feels much bigger than Sheffield and South Yorks

Archived