Can Sheffield Forum be a positive force in the city??

Good thread. I'd like very much to think this would be the case & there've been some great threads and debates on here over the years.

But there needs to be some commitment to a cause or some common objective and, although I do believe that honest, open debate and a focus on important issues can be achieved, it can only be done so if people want it to happen.

I think you are forgetting the biggest obstacle to getting anything done around here. Our political elite. If they don't want it it won't happen. Oh yes, they are world class at sucking up to the electorate when they want votes but the rest of the time they live in their own Town Hall bubble calling each other names and listening only to their financial backers. There are far too many councillors in safe seats who, frankly, never have to do a stroke....................and they don't.

What important issues could SF contribute to? I can't imagine SF can offer much to the most important ones of education and the economy. Even if we all came up with the most brilliant, workable solution the only people who can make it happen will never admit their policy isn't the best even though it is demonstrably not working.

SF had a very significant (some would say pivotal) role to play in helping The Friends of Graves Park prevent the SCC/StLuke's Land Grab.

I would say it "had" people power, it seems to me the amount of debate and discussions are more or less about the same thing getting copied every few months these day's, I personally think that's why the forum has quietened down so much cause everything has been discussed apart from what happens in the present obviously.

The response in times of crisis on a small and large scale has always amazed me. Its what convinced me to spend so much of my time helping managing behind the scenes in former role as a site Admin. SF is a force of good if used correctly. Long may the SF community exist.

The response in times of crisis on a small and large scale has always amazed me. Its what convinced me to spend so much of my time helping managing behind the scenes in former role as a site Admin. SF is a force of good if used correctly. Long may the SF community exist.

I'd agree. I wasn't around in the floods but in the serious snow of the last couple of years the forum "worked" in getting supplies to the most needy very efficiently. We're a bunch of argumentative gits with hearts of gold would be my take.

SF had a very significant (some would say pivotal) role to play in helping The Friends of Graves Park prevent the SCC/StLuke's Land Grab.

Yes definitely. And heres hoping we can join together in future battles. :)

I wouldn't be keen on SF being seen as a political force in the same way as Mumsnet is now being pushed. It's just a forum for Sheffield people to shoot the ****. I would also be uneasy with it being promoted by its owners as a political force.

My contact with SF was something of a wake-up call and made me realise that I was living in a den of right wing reactionary ***** and the sort of people I wouldn't want to give any sort of political power.

I wouldn't be keen on SF being seen as a political force in the same way as Mumsnet is now being pushed. It's just a forum for Sheffield people to shoot the ****. I would also be uneasy with it being promoted by its owners as a political force.

My contact with SF was something of a wake-up call and made me realise that I was living in a den of right wing reactionary ***** and the sort of people I wouldn't want to give any sort of political power.

Bit negative aren't we ??? We argue and hurl insults at each other but also help out whenever possible. By the way its the 'right wing reactionaries' who cause me to spit the dummy out regularly and the smart arses who press the 'report post' button and get me banned. Its still a good force and a scource of info and support. :)

Can Sheffield Forum be a positive force in the city??

This answers the question...

How about doing some good on this thread and keeping it on topic? Some posts have already been removed to avoid it being derailed.

Thanks.

Bugger that, I don't want to live in a big society

I'd like to think that any Sheffield Councillor worthy of the name would take a look on Sheffield Forum to see what issues are of concern to the Sheffield public.

You can anyway. All Licensing, Planning Board and Full Council meetings are open to the public. I wish more people knew this and contributed.
are these meetings held in the evening ?(some of us do work) also these meetings might be opened to the public but whats the point when councillors do the opposite to what the people want?