Can Sheffield Forum be a positive force in the city??

The title thread is a touch misleading. I'll rephrase.

Can the people of the forum actually do something useful for the city?

Sheffield Forum for all its faults, and it has a great deal, does have something in its favour. People power. Can this power actually be put to any use? Can the forum and the people therein actually do something positive for the city? I don't mean anything huge and unmanageable like turn an election or put a local artist to number one in the charts, i'm thinking something on a smaller scale.

Whats the point of the forum if all its used for is just blowing air at each other all day?

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

The title thread is a touch misleading. I'll rephrase.

Can the people of the forum actually do something useful for the city?

Good thread. Sheffield Forum for all its faults, and it has a great deal, does have something in its favour. People power. Can this power actually be put to any use? Can the forum and the people therein actually do something positive for the city? I don't mean anything huge and unmanageable like turn an election or put a local artist to number one in the charts, i'm thinking something on a smaller scale.

Whats the point of the forum if all its used for is just blowing air at each other all day?

Good thread. I'd like very much to think this would be the case & there've been some great threads and debates on here over the years.

But there needs to be some commitment to a cause or some common objective and, although I do believe that honest, open debate and a focus on important issues can be achieved, it can only be done so if people want it to happen.

Unfortunately, so many good threads are derailed by posters anxious to display their own wit and cleverness. At soon as some wannabe stand up comes on, most people switch off, I'm afraid.

I don't know what the answer is DiscoDown and perhaps something good could be achieved through the sub-groups, where people are more likely to stick to the subject & not let their own egos get in the way.

I'd love to see Forummers inputting into the way the cultural life of the city develops. I'd also like to see a pressure group on here for preserving Sheffield's green spaces when planning applications come from developers. There's loads we could do, but we'd need serious commitment, not pratting about.

on the 25th June 2007 the forum came into its own and did a stack of amazing good for lots of people in the city.

:roll: You can't just say that without saying what it was, and why on that specific date.

twas the day the floods came :(

this was when I first realised what a great thing SF was, followed all the posts, the community spirit was really felt at that time

whatever goes on in sheffield dosent usually get past SF :)