South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

im just baffled, we are the 4th largest city in England and yet South Yorkshire is losing it's helicoter. we will have to use the surrounding area's!! wakefield derbyshire and maybe humbershire!! so response times will be longer!! Any one else think this is stupid

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Thought you'd gone up in the world when I read that title Scoobie:D but I know what you mean. Also another crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsCQojL5B_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If we are going to lose our helicopter what are people going to talk about on here :). Its location is one of the more talked about topics.

Better start another thread about body bags then in Meadowhall to fill the gap.

Edited by boxlightner

In all seriousness when the chopper does go we will see an increase in car crime and also the copter was the best tool SYP has to find cannabis farms because of the thermal camera

In all seriousness when the chopper does go we will see an increase in car crime and also the copter was the best tool SYP has to find cannabis farms because of the thermal camera

It is a tremendous crime fighting tool that is being stolen from us by a tory government.

It is a tremendous crime fighting tool that is being stolen from us by a tory government.

I'd report that to the police if I was you as theft is wrong.

South Yorkshire Police Authority will be holding two live online discussions on the police helicopter in February following the much publicised proposals for a National Police Air Service. This will give the public of South Yorkshire the chance to hear how the proposals may affect the county and the authority’s stance on the issue.

Members of the public will have the ability to ask any questions they may have around the air support unit and have them answered live. It is hoped this facility will provide a platform for discussion and debate and for the public to have their say.

The Authority is keen to gather public opinion as it is currently in consultation with National Police Air Service representatives, therefore the opinions of the county’s residents are very much valued within this process.

The events will take place on:

Monday 13th February at 12pm

AND

Wednesday 15th February at 6pm

For more information on the proposals for a National Police Air Service and the live chat please visit http://www.southyorks.gov.uk/SYJSHome/PoliceHome/PoliceHelicopter.aspx

South Yorkshire Police Authority will be holding two live online discussions on the police helicopter in February following the much publicised proposals for a National Police Air Service. This will give the public of South Yorkshire the chance to hear how the proposals may affect the county and the authority’s stance on the issue.

Members of the public will have the ability to ask any questions they may have around the air support unit and have them answered live. It is hoped this facility will provide a platform for discussion and debate and for the public to have their say.

The Authority is keen to gather public opinion as it is currently in consultation with National Police Air Service representatives, therefore the opinions of the county’s residents are very much valued within this process.

The events will take place on:

Monday 13th February at 12pm

AND

Wednesday 15th February at 6pm

For more information on the proposals for a National Police Air Service and the live chat please visit http://www.southyorks.gov.uk/SYJSHom...elicopter.aspx

While replacing a helicopter with a cheaper unmanned drone seems to make sense, a top speed of 30mph is going to be a game to car thieves. It's pointless for anything other than chases on foot. Might be quieter and allow for surveillance too, I don't like that.

its about time the police authority and the council relised what a great job it as played in ridding crime in the city and surroundig country side and its not just used to catch the crims but it finds missing people, lost kid, its also used for croud control at footy matches, riots and civil unrests, it can also pick up the odd injured person in an accident

Does it deter crime or doe it make it easier for the police to catch criminals?

Perhaps it could be run as a 'not for profit' venture and the bill for each flight could be passed to the criminal/other user? (People would have to take out individual insurance policies to cover their use of the helicopter, but that shouldn't be too difficult to arrange.)