South Yorkshire Police helicopter MEGATHREAD (excl. sightings)

Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that the Police helicopter should be scrapped?

• Yes I agree
    • No I don't
    • I don't care
    • I''m a criminal, so I do agree

South Yorkshire's brand new MD209 Explorer helicopter (registered as G-SYPS) takes to the skies tomorrow - exactly one hundred years since the famous flight by the Wright brothers. The brand new helicopter will shortly be replacing the 21 year old helicopter that South Yorkshire police have been using since 1997.

:)

I hope that it's a bit quieter .... and that it's searchlight isn't quite so bright :) Zzzzzzzz

Well, from what ive found out:

G-SYPS:

it has two "PRATT & WHITNEY CANADA PW207E" engines, and was built in 2002, and has a maximum take off weight of 2835kg with only 32 hours flying time behind it!

so maybe some of our resident helicopter experts could tell us about engine noise from them :)

the old copter -

Total Production (all variants) 553 First flight 1979/F2 -1985

Comments Increased max Gross weight over previous AS355 series, with a Useful load of over 2,600 lbs.

Engine(s) (2) Allison 250 C 20F HP (takeoff) 420 shp ea.

Dimensions main rotor 35.1 ft/10.7 m Tail rotor 6.10 ft/1.86 m

Height 10.3 ft/3.14 m Length 35.9 ft/10.93 m Width 8.3 ft/2.53 m

Empty weight 2,984 lbs/1,353 kg Gross weight 5,600 lbs/2,540 kg

the new copter (from their website) - which has no tail rotor but some kind of ducted exhaust from the turboshaft.(i guess or maybe a ducted fan)

The MD Helicopters family of rotorcraft are world renown for their value, versatility and performance...What's more, only helicopters from MD Helicopters feature the patented NOTAR® anti-torque system for operator benefits that include increased quiet, safety, reduced insurance rates and the ability to fly in areas that are off limits to other rotorcraft. It's no wonder these impressive aircraft are in service with air medical, law enforcement, corporate and utility operators around the world.

ive been to see it with scouts :D

it no longer has a side propeller at the back it has an, in the middle one!! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by RPG

so maybe some of our resident helicopter experts could tell us about engine noise from them :)

I've not seen it at clsoe quarters yet, but it did fly overhead this morning. I can tell you that the NOTAR (no tail rotor) system makes it very quiet! (comparatively speaking) - burglars beware!

That's amazing - not 5 minutes after reading this thread the very helicopter in question flew right over my house! I agree with Mr H it is indeed very quiet - much quieter than the old one.

There was a helicopter flying over the city centre last night and when it was directly above it seemed very noisy! But then again when it finally flew off it was virtually silent. I guess it forces the sound downwards? Or perhaps it was the old one? Does anyone know if the old one is still being used? I would ask the press office, but I've hassled them enough today ;)

The old one disappeared the same weekend as the new one arrived

aye, it doesnt look quite as imposing but its much quieter

Has anyone got a piccy of this new copper chopper? I've seen a white one flying around recently and just wondered if it was that one.

The new police helicopter is blue & yellow.

The white one probably looked like this:

<---------------------------