Anyone remember the summer of 76

was it baileys or black swan?

You have 'Hit the nail on the head' - Spot on Baileys.

Summer of '76 I was just 17. We went to Yarmouth and went on the beach almost on arrival. I stupidly fell asleep and got sunstroke.My back was covered in blisters - ouch! I had to spend the rest of the holiday covered up. A fine holiday that was through being careless. I seem to remember the Winter of '76 being really bad weather?

IIRC that summer broke during the first few days of September when the rains finally came.

We moved to this house in July 76 with 2 children and spent most of the six weeks decorating(what a chore in the heat) and because we had not had a holliday we decided to take them to Cleethorpes for the day before they went back to school.Guess what that was the day that it rained and dozens of us tried to fit into a bus shelter to keep dry!And as we drove home to Sheffield there were people out in the streets cheering.:hihi:

Like my little sister Silly, above, I moved to my present house in July 1976. I was serving with the RAF in the north of Scotland and thought I would relocate to the Fens. We bought a house and my wife and daughter moved in. I then applied for a posting to the area and sod's law saw me posted to Germany. Not wishing to let my new house before I had lived in it, I spent 2.5 years unaccompanied over there.

I had been away for 6mths in the merchant navy, on the way home to Plymouth the country side was brown and parched. The day after I arrived home it rained cats and dogs,I was upset because I was looking forward to sharing a shower.

1976 was the summer i left school and became 16. I got my first job working at Loxley Brothers Print on Aizlewood Road, Heeley. The roof was glass and it really was like working in a greenhouse, it was an unbelievably hot summer. Remember Wimbledon being baking and well into the 90's, and the minister for drought, what a laugh that was! There wasnt any talk of global warming then though was there? Remember being glad when it was all over so i could work a bit more comfortably, and me and me dad ran out into the street when it eventually rained, it had been so long!

Summer of '76.

• Went out to play all day without telling my parents where
  • Went out without sun protection
  • Climbed trees
  • Paddled in streams
  • Didn't drink 8 glasses of water a day
  • Didn't eat anything that wasn't flourescent

And I'm still alive :D

yea it was the reyt hot one wernt it god yea remember showin off big time begging for my dad to fill my paddling pool up but cus of a water ban we wenrt allowed but i wernt having none off it showing off because i was convinced he was just being lazy n couldnt be bothered to fill up the thing bless him and queing up on the street for water to drink if im correct was it about the same time that there was a strike with the ambulence men ??? or am i wrong probably knowing me xx:rolleyes:

yea it was the reyt hot one wernt it god yea remember showin off big time begging for my dad to fill my paddling pool up but cus of a water ban we wenrt allowed but i wernt having none off it showing off because i was convinced he was just being lazy n couldnt be bothered to fill up the thing bless him and queing up on the street for water to drink if im correct was it about the same time that there was a strike with the ambulence men ??? or am i wrong probably knowing me xx:rolleyes:

Bottom right of your keyboard there should be a full-stop key. Once you've found that let me know and I'll get someone to translate your post.:hihi::hihi:

I think the ambulance strike was 1977 although I stand corrected.

I think the ambulance strike was 1977 although I stand corrected.

The ambulance strike began in January 1979 as part of the "winter of discontent" that effectively put paid to the Old Labour government. It was firefighters who went on strike in 1977, resulting in "green goddess" fire engines on the streets.