Anyone remember the summer of 76

I have very extensive memories of the “Summer of ’76”, as it came at a very important juncture in my life......

What a remarkable story - you clearly made the right decision to get off the bus. It somehow reminds me of Chay Blyth (born 1940) who started on a rather mundane job in a Scottish textile mill, accidentally wrecked a machine (twice), got the sack and went off to become a paratrooper. Then he rowed a boat across the Atlantic, sailed all over the world etc. etc. and picked up a B.E.M. and knighthood along the way. It makes working in a bank seem boring and mundane. OK - I was given a decent package and pension at 54, but it would have been nice to look back on a bit more excitement. All the same I'm not doing bad in retirement, travelling the world - Siberia (with a return ticket) last year, America last month, South Africa in October. Long may you enjoy life, your family and (I'm sure) lots of activities.

Yes, it was hotter than Hell in the steelworks.

I was sat in the furnace control cabin with white-hot stainless rolling out four feet under my chair - nuts were well roasted :o:hihi:

Didn't some parts of the country have stand pipes in the street?

In Hampshire, like most of the South East, the water supply comes from the water table. We were close to having to use stand pipes near Portsmouth, but it never happened where we were.

I vividly recall the whole family having to use the same bath water (Dad first cos he liked it the hottest, then Mum, then me and my brother). I remember having to conserve water like mad by not flushing the loo after you'd just had a wee, not leaving taps running when washing your hands or cleaning your teeth, using washing up water to "flush" the loo and water the plants.......hmmmm and to think us kids didn't whinge once (except for when we wanted to go to the beach and our parents wouldn't take us!).

Didn't some parts of the country have stand pipes in the street?

Yes - they were in use in Devon, and I think in position elsewhere but not used as far as I recall. The problem in Devon was that the shortage of water concided with the increase in demand due to the arrival of large number of tourists. In Sheffield we were told firmly to use less water but there was no immediate threat of standpipes. We came nearer to this in 1959, but sufficient rain arrived just in time.

Yes - they were in use in Devon, and I think in position elsewhere but not used as far as I recall. The problem in Devon was that the shortage of water concided with the increase in demand due to the arrival of large number of tourists. In Sheffield we were told firmly to use less water but there was no immediate threat of standpipes. We came nearer to this in 1959, but sufficient rain arrived just in time.

Yes the summer of '59 what a summer that was,my last year at school.In those days the Tarmac roads would melt in the heat,and the ground was so parched there were deep cracks in the soil.

I remember..... dodging melted tar on the roads...catching buses bare-footed for 2p....waggin' school.....sleeping down at Forge Dam.....cheese cloth shirts...high waisters... 'newspaper' wedgies (shoes)....going (badly) blonde and my mum dragging me inside to 'wash it out' (she wished!)...and on. :)

marvelous, the best year of my life, 1976, 15 years old, the last six weeks holidays I would ever have, spent lazing around the parks of Sheffield, mainly Hillsborough and Endcliffe, wondering if it would ever rain again, just waking up every morning to the sun blazing through the window, radio 1 on my trannie listening to Tony Blackburn, Dave Lee Travis, Noel Edmunds, I guess there have been hotter summers since, but this was special for me cause I was young and carefree, if only you could turn back time.:)

I was sat in the furnace control cabin with white-hot stainless rolling out four feet under my chair - nuts were well roasted :o:hihi:

Yes,those were the days eh.:hihi:

summer of 76 fantastic timbertop discos, midnight swimming in longley baths where did the years go.

1976 - two years before I left school. I remember the long hot summer, having my first boyfriend and being broken hearted when it all fell apart. We went to Butlins in Wales for our holidays, the car was like a greenhouse every time we got in it. In September I got glandular fever and was off school for about a month. The summer seemed never ending.

Also good was the summer of 1984.

millhouses lido , old schoolfriends there .remember kim wheeler and melanie crannage and girls from rowlinson all there one day ,probably all married with grandkids now ...

How did you get in Longley Baths at midnight