Anyone remember the summer of 76

How did you get in Longley Baths at midnight

how do you think? :wink:

same way as I used to get in there, after-hours...

through the hole in the fence! LOL

Was longley open air then like millhouses lido

About my only memory specific to that Summer is of my Dad taking my Sister and I to Greenwich to the museums or something [?] and there was a chap selling cans of pop from a wheelbarrow full of ice. For 40p!!! Which was obviously so ludicrous that I still remember it now. I don't usually buy fizzy drinks, so I'm not sure how much cans cost now but I don't think it's much more than charged by that enterprising chap, 31 years ago.

In May 1976 we moved house to where I live now looking at the Totley Moors.

We also decided to go to North Scotland in our then Camper Van.

Just before we left for Scotland, from where I am sitting now,

I looked up onto the moors and noticed puffs of smoke from a fire.

After making sure that someone local was not just burning the bracken,

I phoned the Fire Brigade. The devastating fire of Blackamoor had started.

We went to Scotland having three weeks holiday in perfect weather,

On our return, all the beautiful colors of the moorland, were just Black.

Who started the fire or fires probably we shall never know,

I only hope that a ' Forum members ' conscience is pricked

And a answer given to the question.

If a conscience is pricked - Please don't do it again.

I remember..... dodging melted tar on the roads...catching buses bare-footed for 2p....waggin' school.....sleeping down at Forge Dam.....cheese cloth shirts...high waisters... 'newspaper' wedgies (shoes)....going (badly) blonde and my mum dragging me inside to 'wash it out' (she wished!)...and on. :)

Those were the days, I remember feeling hard done by when I had to start and pay the full fare, 12p.

:hihi:

Ah yes, no talk of factor 15 sunblock all the time, where did that suddenly come from? I never even thought about sunblock in 1976 - not until last year actually as now its just rammed down our throats.

The summer of 76, after a particularly good Friday night at the Hoffenbrau followed by the Penny Farthing, my mate had a rather bad experience. Stumbling home to Pitsmoor in his fetching white suit, wide lapels and Lionel Blairs, he walked up past the Signpost pub ( sorry can't remember the name of the road ) and drunkenly fell to the floor. As one does after too many sherberts, he thought he would just lay there for a while. He awoke in the early morning unable to get up, fearing he had been the victim of some terrible accident rendering him paralysed. It took a while for him to realise he was stuck in the (now set solid) tar which had obviously been not so solid at the time of the fall. He had to literally yank himself out of the tar, leaving great chunks of his previously immaculate mullet decorating the pavement and his Travoltaesque suit in ruins. Of course, when he turned up to play football later that day looking like Friar Tuck, we were full of sympathy. yeah!!!

was penny farthing scamps then? seem to remember crazy daizy closed at 12 on week days so we went to scamps or samanthas after till 2. dave rothwell had scamps and dave jamieson had the daisy.

Around this time the ' Fiesta ' was going strong. Another club was on the corner of Bank Street down Snig Hill. Can anyone remember its name ?

Around this time the ' Fiesta ' was going strong. Another club was on the corner of Bank Street down Snig Hill. Can anyone remember its name ?

was it baileys or black swan?

was it baileys or black swan?

Yes Baileys was down there. Black Swan was also, but that was a pub.

Good one Hindy and well written too.

I lived in Wivenhoe, Essex during that long hot summer and I remember the local reservoir drying out and the clay cracking thus making the whole thing useless since any subsequent rain would simply run through the cracks.