University Of Sheffield Students Set Up Encampment On Campus

Absolutely agree with all you say.  Perhaps there's an element of horror at constant bombardment at killing  and injuring of men, women and children. Constant fear every minute of their days.  Could it be the students genuinely appalled at events and not all politically motivated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kris99 said:

Absolutely agree with all you say.  Perhaps there's an element of horror at constant bombardment at killing  and injuring of men, women and children. Constant fear every minute of their days.  Could it be the students genuinely appalled at events and not all politically motivated.

Yes it’s a shocking situation. Both sides seem entrenched. 

There was another thread set up a few months ago in response to a story of a group of Sheffield Uni students occupying an area inside one of Sheffield Uni's buildings in response to the Uni's close ties, (highly profitable to the Uni as well as being a source of expertise & learning for students in engineering & research & development), to businesses linked to armamants manufacturing.  I don't seem to remember any mention of the present conflict in the Middle East. 

As pointed out at the time, these links are long established for years.  Strange that the current student intake didn't seem to mind when they accepted their place at Sheffield Uni, or probably cared. 

They aren't going to change diddly-squat the Uni's links with big business but I suppose they'll be able to take lots of photos & post them to their social media sites.  It'll be interesting if they do & a few years down the line they're trying to get a job in 'big business' that has links to the arms trade or they have to explain their current actions to a future employer. 

I'll stick my neck out here & say that of all the students camping out, not one will be Chinese or from that part of the world.  They'll all be in the library studying. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mafya said:

I don’t think students are that dumb and if you actually believe what you have posted then I think you need to read up on how the Israeli/palestinian conflict started. Dehumanising Palestinians and their supporters and humanising Israelis and defending Israel’s current genocidal actions along with weaponising the holocaust and anti semitism just doesn’t wash any more.

The protesters are on the right side of history 

Surely that depends on your view of the "right side"??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Why did Hamas take the hostages in the first place?

Answer: Because Palastine was being constantly, continually and deliberately harrassed by Israel. Eg water supply being cut off, internet connection being cut off, electricity being cut off, supplies being dut off / rerouted etc etc etc. 

Israel wants to see the end of Palastine every bit as much as the other way round and has said so openly. We don't hear about that because our media is biased in favour of Israel (because back in 1947 we were the one's who gave them the land belonging to the Palastinians that wasn't ours to give, causing the problem in the first place.) 

People really need to learn a bit of history.  

Israel is a bully. That is not anti semitism, it's politics.

Interesting perspective - this is an alternative one. https://www.chathamhouse.org/2023/10/why-has-hamas-taken-hostages

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alchemist said:

Surely that depends on your view of the "right side"??

Israel is an occupying force that practices apartheid, it also controls water,fuel,power and what food goes in and out of Palestine so I along with others know who is the right side.

• Like 1

More western hypocrisy regarding the protests, when it’s Russia or others clamping down on protests the west screams its undemocratic and yet now they are doing it themselves. 
Western democracy only applies when it suits, the police stood by when pro Israeli protesters stormed one university encampment and beet up the pro Palestinian protesters.

Shame on the hypocritical double standard so called beacons of democracy!!!

1 hour ago, mafya said:

More western hypocrisy regarding the protests, when it’s Russia or others clamping down on protests the west screams its undemocratic and yet now they are doing it themselves. 
Western democracy only applies when it suits, the police stood by when pro Israeli protesters stormed one university encampment and beet up the pro Palestinian protesters.

Shame on the hypocritical double standard so called beacons of democracy!!!

Which university?