University Of Sheffield Students Set Up Encampment On Campus

56 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Right my friend . Stop it with the personal bits . I do not support genocide on any side. If you look at the Gaza  thread you will see that I agree with you on some things , even to the point that you have liked my comments. 
Now as we are on about Sheffield University students , why do you think they are doing it now and not months ago ?  Sheep on a band wagon ? 

I wasn’t getting personal so please don’t take it that way I made an assumption as in my opinion anyone against this one sided pounding of an unarmed people would not be questioning why the students are doing it now .

Maybe it’s because Bibi the Nazi has said he will invade Rafah where more then a million displaced Palestinians are sheltering and I think the term enough is enough comes into play and they have decided to be vocal about there opposition as it seems the world leaders are just allowing it to carry on.

It is never too late to speak up and be heard when injustice is being done, maybe the student protests will lead to others being vocal in there support for the hostilities to end….

3 hours ago, mafya said:

It is never too late to speak up and be heard when injustice is being done, maybe the student protests will lead to others being vocal in there support for the hostilities to end….

Strange that Palestinians were / are being killed for over a decade by Syrian forces but I don't recall any Sheffield Uni protest or students of any other uni anywhere else. 

It seems some decide to pick & choose which regimes they protest against, even though those regimes are doing the thing, killing the same Palestinians. 

Camping outside a uni is just this years fad.   You don't see many of them now demonstrating for Black Lives Matter.

I remember being a student, some politically active students will be serious about it but for others it's just a bit of a laugh, camping out with your mates, pretending you're making a difference.   

The protests will last until the weather picks up & there's better things to do; it gets to the end of term & its holiday time; the music festival season starts, whichever comes first. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Grr no edit!

Imagine punching someone in the face and then being surprised and playing the victim when they punch you back ... that's Palestine.

Don't start it if you can't take it.

If you punch them so hard and continuously until it kills them it's murder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Strange that Palestinians were / are being killed for over a decade by Syrian forces but I don't recall any Sheffield Uni protest or students of any other uni anywhere else. 

It seems some decide to pick & choose which regimes they protest against, even though those regimes are doing the thing, killing the same Palestinians. 

Camping outside a uni is just this years fad.   You don't see many of them now demonstrating for Black Lives Matter.

I remember being a student, some politically active students will be serious about it but for others it's just a bit of a laugh, camping out with your mates, pretending you're making a difference.   

The protests will last until the weather picks up & there's better things to do; it gets to the end of term & its holiday time; the music festival season starts, whichever comes first. 

34 minutes ago, prince al said:

Where have the protesters been? What all the recent conflicts? 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_conflicts_in_the_Middle_East

What about Syria? What about Yemen?  What about the the Turkish coup d'état attempt?

Blatant antisemitism .

Those smaller conflicts were being protested about at various levels, as has the whole Gaza situation for many, many years. I remember ‘Free Palestine’ marches here in Sheffield as I was growing up and in recent years Jeremy Corbyn’s activism on Gaza and Palestine was a stick to beat him with.l in this country.

That said, this isn’t a minor conflict anymore — this time it is a horrible attack followed by a full scale invasion, occupation and what some people are calling a genocide. Protests would surely increase with such an escalation in the situation?

As for being a ‘fad’, protests throughout history tend to increase and happen more when there is a flashpoint and something more serious to protest about. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Those smaller conflicts were being protested about at various levels, as has the whole Gaza situation for many, many years. I remember ‘Free Palestine’ marches here in Sheffield as I was growing up and in recent years Jeremy Corbyn’s activism on Gaza and Palestine was a stick to beat him with.l in this country.

That said, this isn’t a minor conflict anymore — this time it is a horrible attack followed by a full scale invasion, occupation and what some people are calling a genocide. Protests would surely increase with such an escalation in the situation?

As for being a ‘fad’, protests throughout history tend to increase and happen more when there is a flashpoint and something more serious to protest about. 

When Iran tells Hamas to hand over the hostages and stop the rockets from civilian areas, then Isreal will cease hostilities. Hamas have escalated this to war footings.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, prince al said:

When Iran tells Hamas to hand over the hostages and stop the rockets from civilian areas, then Isreal will cease hostilities. Hamas have escalated this to war footings.

Why did Hamas take the hostages in the first place?

Answer: Because Palastine was being constantly, continually and deliberately harrassed by Israel. Eg water supply being cut off, internet connection being cut off, electricity being cut off, supplies being dut off / rerouted etc etc etc. 

Israel wants to see the end of Palastine every bit as much as the other way round and has said so openly. We don't hear about that because our media is biased in favour of Israel (because back in 1947 we were the one's who gave them the land belonging to the Palastinians that wasn't ours to give, causing the problem in the first place.) 

People really need to learn a bit of history.  

Israel is a bully. That is not anti semitism, it's politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Answer: Because Palastine was being constantly, continually and deliberately harrassed by Israel. Eg water supply being cut off, internet connection being cut off, electricity being cut off, supplies being dut off / rerouted etc etc etc. 

Israel wants to see the end of Palastine every bit as much as the other way round and has said so openly. We don't hear about that because our media is biased in favour of Israel (because back in 1947 we were the one's who gave them the land belonging to the Palastinians that wasn't ours to give, causing the problem in the first place.) 

Learn your history?

The United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine was a proposal by the United Nations, which recommended a partition of Mandatory Palestine at the end of the British Mandate. On 29 November 1947, the UN General Assembly adopted the Plan as Resolution 181 (II).[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Partition_Plan_for_Palestine

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Anna B said: