Police Boxes.

Who remembers the old police boxes?

Back in the old days there was no mobile phones giving the public the ability to swamp police control rooms with hundreds of calls...

There was a common sense approach to policing, the public didn't report petty non crimes like getting fat on social media...

A copper walked the beat, and was visible, he didn't have to shoot from one job to another like a yo-yo.

He didn't have to write up every single incident on a Computer to cover his backside.

Parents didn't call 999 because their 12 year old kid was "Kicking Off" coppers didn't spend fifty percent of their time dealing with mental health emergencies, or acting as a secondary ambulance.

Bring back the old police boxes.

Indeed, better times..

• Like 1

When I was quite small (probably about 6 years old) we lived at what was called the Clarion Ramblers club house on Hathersage Road just about opposite the end of Sheephill Road. The timber building isn't there, just a small holding if I'm correct. Anyway, one day I suffered some nasty cuts to my ankle, loads of blood everywhere, and my dad, who was ill with Silicosis had to hurry down to the Door Moor Inn to phone for an ambulance. When they came a police car also attended and told my mum and dad that they could and should have used the emergency phone on the outside of the police box just up the road from the house. It would have meant smashing the glass, and the sign said " for emergency use only " or words to the effect, and they didn't think about using it.

• Like 1

There was one at the "S Bend" (Glen Bridge) on Rivelin Valley Rd, anyone remember? Police used to visit on their Velocette LE motorbikes.

Edited by carosio

2 hours ago, carosio said:

There was one at the "S Bend" (Glen Bridge) on Rivelin Valley Rd, anyone remember? Police used to visit on their Velocette LE motorbikes.

I don't remember one on the S bend, but there was also one on Rivelin Valley Rd at the bottom of Hollins Lane by the bridge.

Do I remember they were blue and cream not like Dr Who?  1955 I went to a little 2 classroom school in Bradway. There was a police box built into the school wall. We used to chat to the policemen over the wall when they were reporting in.  Chats about crossing the road and such.  Suppose it was a bit of unofficial community policeing.