So Called Celebrities

Just picked up the Good Lady’s tv magazine . 
What is happening to the standard of tv  , when you’ve got Alison Hammond hosting the new series of For The Love Of Dogs . She doesn’t own a dog, has never owned a dog and in fact has never had any pets. Then we’ve got another travel series with Rob Rinder and Rylan Clark going to Italy .  
Yes , we don’t have to watch it but how do these talentless no marks get jobs ? 

48 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

What is happening to the standard of tv  , when you’ve got Alison Hammond hosting the new series of For The Love Of Dogs . She doesn’t own a dog, has never owned a dog and in fact has never had any pets. Then we’ve got another travel series with Rob Rinder and Rylan Clark going to Italy .  

It is odd - I tend to avoid anything to do with these 'no marks' (skid marks would be a more apt description). However when I used to smoke and be queuing for cigarettes, I'd stand there and look at these silly magazines like OK!, Now and Hello!; and for years on end  their front covers would feature this apparent feud between Pauline Quirke  and Linda Robson (Birds of a Feather), with made up quotes about each other.

I was reading an interview only a couple of months ago with Linda Robson where she said that it was complete nonsense about a falling out. She knew Pauline wanted to work on other stuff, yet the gossip magazines made up this nonsense between them to sell their magazines. I only assume that both Pauline and Linda received a cut of the profits.

Probably due to demand, generated by the mindless hordes who worship 'influencers', 'social commentators' and any of the other plethora of nonsense that these people have rivetted their minds to, who find these 'personalities' easier to follow and relate to Hackey

Cheap telly, cheap celebs. We are living in very strange times with very strange values that make no sense to anyone over 40.

We can only hope the barometer swings back the other way sometime soon and people come to their senses.  

Pointless Celebrities tonight (didn’t watch it).
Georgia Steel, David Potts, Jasmine Harman, Laura Hamilton, Topsy Ojo, Maggie Alphonsi, Kai Samra and Dane Baptiste.

Admittedly I’m not well up on popular culture but I’ve never heard of any of them.

52 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Pointless Celebrities tonight (didn’t watch it).
Georgia Steel, David Potts, Jasmine Harman, Laura Hamilton, Topsy Ojo, Maggie Alphonsi, Kai Samra and Dane Baptiste.

Admittedly I’m not well up on popular culture but I’ve never heard of any of them.

I know some , see my post above but I can honestly say, I have never heard of any of these .

20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

My wife once told me she she once said she doesn't like dogs.

can't stan d the woman.

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

Cheap telly, cheap celebs. We are living in very strange times with very strange values that make no sense to anyone over 40.

We can only hope the barometer swings back the other way sometime soon and people come to their senses.  

Oh come off it.   You seriously think that the worship over the cult of celebrity is a new thing.   The media format might have changed but dont kid yourself.   

There were  Z-listers, attention seekers, wannabes and eccentrics desperate for their 5 minutes of fame just as much back in the black and white days. 

The tabloids were just as interested in tittle tattle and who was shagging who just as much. There were still gossip magazines and saucy stories.  There was the publicity stunts.  There was plenty of talent contests and freak shows where the viewers could all gather round on a Saturday night to point and laugh.   There was the playboy and page 3 hopefuls thrusting their only two talents in the faces of anyone with a camera.   Even  the foundations of modern day 'reality television' and 'real people's stories' can be traced to shows made as far back as the late 50s. 

Its not about people "coming back to their senses".   Their behaviour now is the same people's behaviour back then so lets not go in denial.   From the screaming hordes following their music idols.....  To the groupies bashing down dressing room doors to get to touch their favourite TV star...  To the magazines flying off the shelves with the latest stories about the rocky relationship of Burton v Taylor or the salty demise of Maryln Monroe or some human interest puff piece about the woman with 21 kids or the man whose bread roll looked like the face of Big Daddy.   We had people famous for just being in a TV advert (one noted example was the 'face' of British Airways who had to stop being a air hostess on regular flights because she was hounded by passengers wanting an autograph).  We had people famous because they performed a party trick on Nationwide.  We had people famous for just being Miss Swindon 1967.  We had people famous because they could rip a phone book in half.  

Stop trying to make out that your generation is somehow more culturally superior to the current one just because, I fully suspect, you simply dont understand it.   Fact is, even in the black and white days there was an element of trash that was lapped up just as much as anything today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh come off it.   You seriously think that the worship over the cult of celebrity is a new thing.   The media format might have changed but dont kid yourself.   

There were  Z-listers, attention seekers, wannabes and eccentrics desperate for their 5 minutes of fame just as much back in the black and white days. 

The tabloids were just as interested in tittle tattle and who was shagging who just as much. There were still gossip magazines and saucy stories.  There was the publicity stunts.  There was plenty of talent contests and freak shows where the viewers could all gather round on a Saturday night to point and laugh.   There was the playboy and page 3 hopefuls thrusting their only two talents in the faces of anyone with a camera.   Even  the foundations of modern day 'reality television' and 'real people's stories' can be traced to shows made as far back as the late 50s. 

Its not about people "coming back to their senses".   Their behaviour now is the same people's behaviour back then so lets not go in denial.   From the screaming hordes following their music idols.....  To the groupies bashing down dressing room doors to get to touch their favourite TV star...  To the magazines flying off the shelves with the latest stories about the rocky relationship of Burton v Taylor or the salty demise of Maryln Monroe or some human interest puff piece about the woman with 21 kids or the man whose bread roll looked like the face of Big Daddy.   We had people famous for just being in a TV advert (one noted example was the 'face' of British Airways who had to stop being a air hostess on regular flights because she was hounded by passengers wanting an autograph).  We had people famous because they performed a party trick on Nationwide.  We had people famous for just being Miss Swindon 1967.  We had people famous because they could rip a phone book in half.  

Stop trying to make out that your generation is somehow more culturally superior to the current one just because, I fully suspect, you simply dont understand it.   Fact is, even in the black and white days there was an element of trash that was lapped up just as much as anything today.

Alson Hammond, Rylan Clarke, Rob Rinder are talentless crap.  Argue with that.