One Year Of Sheffield's Clean Air Zone: Polluting Vehicles Fall By Two-Thirds

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Everything but the references. 

No it doesn't?

It's a message from the Director of Public Health, directly related to the content of the thread and answering several points raised in the thread?! Nothing like an advert.

3 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

No it doesn't?

It's a message from the Director of Public Health, directly related to the content of the thread and answering several points raised in the thread?! Nothing like an advert.

Hmmm... :huh:

Well it sounds like an advert to me too! :suspect:

But the bloke is apparently "Director of Public Health at Sheffield City Council"...
... so what else would we expect him to come up with?

It appears that benefits are "difficult to measure"...
... but we definitely "know" it's a good thing! :hihi:

13 hours ago, Resident said:

Many have said that mild/full/plug-in hybrid vehicles are much more environmentally friendly than a full EV. Toyota, whilst they do produce a full EV still believe that hybrid is the better option until Hydrogen becomes an economic viability, which is rapidly approaching. 

Yes Toyota have some called the 1,6,90 rule iirc. 

From google.

Toyota has what it calls the 1:6:90 rule. Its scientists have calculated that the amount of raw material needed to make a long-range EV could instead be used to make six plug-in electric hybrid vehicles or 90 hybrid vehicles. 

Im a bit pushed for time right now but ill look for a I read a while ago link later and post it👍

27 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

A note from Greg Fell, Director of Public Health at Sheffield City Council:

Today marks exactly one year on from when we first launched our Clean Air Zone (CAZ) in Sheffield.  

Whilst the introduction of the CAZ has required some adjustment for many of us, the evidence is clear, when it comes to air pollution, there is no safe limit and, with 1 in 20 deaths in Sheffield attributable to air pollution, we must all act to protect the health of ourselves, our loved ones, and the environment around us.  

A year on living with the CAZ and we are seeing the kind of positive results we were hoping for. The number of polluting vehicles within the CAZ boundary has seen a huge drop compared to the year before, two thirds of a reduction, or 64 per cent to be precise. Data also shows that the polluting traffic around the boundary has also dropped by 18 per cent – suggesting that more and more people are making the switch to cleaner vehicles(1) 

So, what does this mean for the health of local people who live, work and study in those poor air quality hotspots?  

Air quality impacts our health and can lead to life changing diseases. This assault on the health begins in the womb from the first few weeks of pregnancy and impacts the development of an unborn child(2) 

Long term improvements to air quality and a sustained reduction in exposure to harmful pollutants will reduce life threatening diseases - such as lung cancer, stroke, and asthma(3) - reduce pressure on health services and improve the health and livelihoods of future generations.

Deleted the rest to save space..

I consider that,  together with the figures announced,  an encouraging report.

It would be interesting to know  what Mr Fell's views are regarding the clean air zone and the issue of public transport which we were discussing.

Due to the growing reservation around electric vehicles which would also include electric buses,  are these problems being debated and have any ideas sprung from these yet.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Ok, ok… I somewhat started it so it may be my fault on this occasion…

But, please can we debate the post contents and not refer to the poster or resort to abuse.

Thank you!

happy to but everytime the poster in question claims the moral high ground or insults another poster i will simply report the post.

expect a lot of reports