One Year Of Sheffield's Clean Air Zone: Polluting Vehicles Fall By Two-Thirds

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Well it sounds like an advert to me too! :suspect:

But the bloke is apparently "Director of Public Health at Sheffield City Council"...
... so what else would we expect him to come up with?

It appears that benefits are "difficult to measure"...
... but we definitely "know" it's a good thing! :hihi:

It’s the same with everything these days. People with a sketchy understanding of a subject wanting a single line, unequivocal conclusion, that  is easy to understand.

I’ve no idea what your profession is Blokey, but I’m fairly certain that you are in possession of skills and expertise that are difficult to explain to lay people. So, surely you understand that complex problems don’t often lend themselves to simple explanations.

So, it’s not really fair to expect a silver bullet, single conclusion to this stuff.

If you are interested, the references point you to several excellent pieces of research which add detail to Greg Fell’s claims. The Lancet article is a good place to start. It’s a meta study, so you get lots of research for your money. It’s not ridiculously long either.

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would like to  know also how much revenue the clean air zone has generated both in fines and in permits. Surely they are significant measurements too in balancing the success or failure of the clean air zone. The people of Sheffield should know about those as well.

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Got no plans?

I hope he's not lying.

With due respect to SCC, I suspect he is not 'lying', more likely being 'economical with the truth', as his employers have been in the past - a leopard does not change its spots, and SCC has been known to be devious in the past.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

With due respect to SCC, I suspect he is not 'lying', more likely being 'economical with the truth', as his employers have been in the past - a leopard does not change its spots, and SCC has been known to be devious in the past.

Yes, I'm assuming he's accidentally forgotten to use the word 'yet'.

Hope I'm wrong though.