Bus Madness

We all know that bus services in Sheffield are a complete mess but could anyone please explain to me why when a service is sometimes run by Stagecoach and sometimes by First that they are allowed to produce timetables only showing their own services. Can Stagecoach and First not appreciate that customers want to know the bus times for (say) route 86 and could not care who runs the bus. Indeed anyone unfamiliar with the service might not even know there are two operators and assume that there are no service when in fact there is. I know the PTE publish the full service but anyone doing an internet search could end up with either the Stagecoach or the First bus and an incomplete time table . I searched for the 86 route today for bus times today got the Stagecoach timetable and there is no mention of a sunday service. It is time the bus companies put the customer first and if they jointly operate a route show all services for the route

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

We all know that bus services in Sheffield are a complete mess but could anyone please explain to me why when a service is sometimes run by Stagecoach and sometimes by First that they are allowed to produce timetables only showing their own services. Can Stagecoach and First not appreciate that customers want to know the bus times for (say) route 86 and could not care who runs the bus. Indeed anyone unfamiliar with the service might not even know there are two operators and assume that there are no service when in fact there is. I know the PTE publish the full service but anyone doing an internet search could end up with either the Stagecoach or the First bus and an incomplete time table . I searched for the 86 route today for bus times today got the Stagecoach timetable and there is no mention of a sunday service. It is time the bus companies put the customer first and if they jointly operate a route show all services for the route

I get where you’re coming from here, but it’d be like Tesco publishing details of Asda prices and offers.

Unfortunately for you the companies are in competition with each other. As I’ve said before this all goes back to de regulation of bus services in 1986 when everything was “privatised”, thanks to thatcher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

I get where you’re coming from here, but it’d be like Tesco publishing details of Asda prices and offers.

Unfortunately for you the companies are in competition with each other. As I’ve said before this all goes back to de regulation of bus services in 1986 when everything was “privatised”, thanks to thatcher.

But with privatisation comes competition.

Take the trains for example, do we want to go back to the days of British Rail?

21 minutes ago, rogets said:

But with privatisation comes competition.

Take the trains for example, do we want to go back to the days of British Rail?

Your unnecessary reply confirms my post. It’s competition that has caused BigAI1’s problem, one private company not publicising another private company’s operations.

As regards your irrelevant question regarding British Rail, it was a publicly funded integrated network that operated reliably most of the time for the benefit of passengers, not fat cat shareholders who have no interest in transport systems.

• Like 1