Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

32 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

was never was the case at Debenhams and even isn't the case in prestige ones like Selfridges.

Oh, I must have imagined the dedicated gift and game shop desks in Debenham's and the dedicated make up desks, with demonstration boutiques in Debenham's and the dedicated fragrance brand representatives in Selfridge's then. I am sure Next has all of those things. My local Tesco sells pens and note pads, I suppose you would call that a department store as well!

5 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

IKEA have a great place to wander around and the cafe there is nice ...food is good and prices are very reasonable! Sorry its at meadowhall plenty of free parking as well .

I have never been to IKEA but thank you for the insight, it sounds like it's definitely worth a visit. I bet Meadowhall were kicking themselves when it opened a stone's throw away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Oh, I must have imagined the dedicated gift and game shop desks in Debenham's and the dedicated make up desks, with demonstration boutiques in Debenham's and the dedicated fragrance brand representatives in Selfridge's then. I am sure Next has all of those things. My local Tesco sells pens and note pads, I suppose you would call that a department store as well!

I have never been to IKEA but thank you for the insight, it sounds like it's definitely worth a visit. I bet Meadowhall were kicking themselves when it opened a stone's throw away.

Good evening Irene :wave:

I hate the sheer, unadulterated, trudging misery of shopping misery for clothes.

I posted a few months ago about trying to buy a zip up cardigan, not one of them things with hoods on,

Finally got one in Ingoldmells market...

Now I used to get my shoe's from Timpson's and the like, but now I can never find my size, 7 is to small, 8 is to large, 7and half fits perfectly.

But for some reason they never have my size in stock.

The lady always comes back from a lengthy trip to the storeroom brandishing a pair of size 6's asking cheerfully if they will do instead, which is a bit like someone in a restaurant ordering the vegetarian option, and being asked if a nice, juicy T-Bone steak will do instead, no it won't !

Shops never keep shirts in my size either, and every single available jacket would only really fit Ziggy Stardust.

Trousers are another thing, I like to try a pair on, before buying, so I'm directed to an overheated postbox the retailor laughingly calls a changing room.

Then you have to pay for any items you've purchased, stand at a desk, put your card in a machine, tap in your code, and then wait while the sales assistant inputs what feels like the entire works of Shakespear into the computer.

Then she'll want your name and address so that you can be kept abreast of forthcoming clothing lines that won't be available in my size either.

And you can't get round the problem by going somewhere else, because these days there is nowhere else.

That's my beef, every single high street and every single shopping centre in every single town and city is full of exactly the same shops attempting to sell exactly the same things that you can't buy because they don't have my size in stock.

I shiver with despair at Britain's one-size fits nobody attitude to shopping, I'm sure I'm not the only person who fumes with rage over the sheer length of time it takes to pay, and how the financial pressure to make every square foot count means stock and changing rooms are smaller than most Lavatory cisterns.

What's up with paying by cash, hand over the money, pick up your change and walk out 30 seconds at most.

I'm hoping that one day all the streets of our Towns and Cities will be handed back to Ronnie Barker, who'll open all hours, sell us the things we like and let us pay at the end of the week, IN CASH!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

M&S is a department store, yes. TK Maxx is probably just about one., though it doesn't have a cafe. Next is a clothing and furniture shop. Primark is a clothing shop with select homeware collection. 

Traditional department stores were Castle House, Sunwin House, TJ Hughes etc. All of those had dedicated staff for each departments and a cafe.

I guess you steal from all of them.