Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

39 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i was just answering a question.

there is a ... request (?) from Sheffield's Cycle campaigners to consider, where possible, if designated cycle routes could be ... designed/whatever so that the angle-of-attack can minimise the danger of slipping.

which seems reasonable to me...

Hmmm... :huh:

That really made me giggle! :hihi:

The fact that Sheffield's cycle campaigners consider the "angle-of-attack"...

... it's probably the ninja members who like to silently creep up on folk in the dark! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Poor public transport costing Sheffield £2.3billion a year

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/poor-public-transport-costing-sheffield-22045790

The tram system is beyond a joke.  It only covers a fraction of the city and holds up traffic, buses and is a major dangerous obstacle for cyclists .

Who are these Leeds folk envious of Sheffield's tram system ?

Sheffield geography and location is also an advantage not an hindrance.

How come you’re dredging up 3 year old reports? Nothing better to do?

As others have mentioned, Leeds are very keen to have a tram system. They have already had several attempts at it and West Yorkshire Combined Authority are currently spending millions on developing their plans and business case. 

No one is ever going to fund the provision of a tram system that serves every part of a city (or region) in one big bang. You start with a small number of routes and expand from there. There have been attempts to expand Sheffield’s network, but the government have refused to fund it. These things are extremely expensive and only the government will be able to fund it.

Say what you like, but being close to two larger cities / city regions with much higher populations doesn’t do us any favours when trying to attract investment. It also doesn’t help that people here think we should be directly comparable with them.

Guest busdriver1
On 15/11/2023 at 09:55, Planner1 said:

1,Sheffield has had a tram system for over 20 years.

2, People compare Sheffield unfavourably with Leeds but they have failed in 3 attempts to get a tram system. They look on us with envy.

1 and is the most underused light rail system in the UK

2.Maybe the councillors' and planners do but what about the general public? Most of the people I know in Leeds celebrated when permission was refused.

22 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

2.Maybe the councillors' and planners do but what about the general public? Most of the people I know in Leeds celebrated when permission was refused.

That doesn't seem right.  Have you got source for that or is that an opinion?

Have you heard about the farce that was Edinburgh trams which, on last stats from 2022 got half the passenger numbers of Sheffield supertram despite being a major tourist spot and a the capital city.

Blackpool trams are also well below our level of passenger numbers despite their mass influx of annual tourists too.

The West Midlands metro in Birmingham has about 1/3 less passenger numbers of supertram in 2022 and has never reached anywhere near the 15 million plus level that supertram had in 2009-2012 despite the West Midlands having significantly more population than South Yorkshire.

I concede Nottingham, Manchester and Croydon have bigger numbers, but for the latter two, its hardly a surprise given the population size and locations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

1. Apparently not, see post above.

2. Politicians are the decision makers and in West Yorks they are keen on having one. I know people here who celebrated when the plan to run the tram to Stannington was dropped due to their protests, but now they regret it.  A lot of folk don’t see / care about the bigger picture.

Having a mass transit system is often seen as denoting a city that is modern, progressive and on the up. It’s something that companies and organisations are interested in when making investment decisions.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2024 at 17:54, busdriver1 said:

The tram should go to Hallamshire hospital, and if possible to the Northern General as well, then it would be more used. The problem is it only serves small conurbations. 

• Like 1

I think industries majorly contribute to economy and that's one thing Sheffield's is lagging behind because the industries declined over time. Other thing is not having a efficient transport system and urban planning. The people in power should put some efforts in infrastructure.

On 07/02/2024 at 13:03, Planner1 said:

How come you’re dredging up 3 year old reports? Nothing better to do?

As others have mentioned, Leeds are very keen to have a tram system. They have already had several attempts at it and West Yorkshire Combined Authority are currently spending millions on developing their plans and business case. 

No one is ever going to fund the provision of a tram system that serves every part of a city (or region) in one big bang. You start with a small number of routes and expand from there. There have been attempts to expand Sheffield’s network, but the government have refused to fund it. These things are extremely expensive and only the government will be able to fund it.

Say what you like, but being close to two larger cities / city regions with much higher populations doesn’t do us any favours when trying to attract investment. It also doesn’t help that people here think we should be directly comparable with them.

Leeds is the largest European city without a light rail, tram or metro system.

• Like 1

If you look at other threads on here - there’s people slating the idea of a better route to Manchester, of developments in the city centre and surrounding areas, better train links to the south of England and a new sports stadium in the south west of the city  ……

they’ll all be on here  moaning about why we’re  further behind in a few years 

Edited by Mkapaka