Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

There was nothing confusing about my post.

The "bottom road" to Stocksbridge? There's only direct road from Sheffield to Stocksbridge,  the A6102. Used to live in Deepcar and never heard of it being called the bottom road.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

The "bottom road" to Stocksbridge? There's only direct road from Sheffield to Stocksbridge,  the A6102. Used to live in Deepcar and never heard of it being called the bottom road.

Well now you have. I call Middlewood Road and the road that continues to Stocksbridge the bottom road. It's also possible to get to Stocksbridge through Dykes Hall Road & Worrall. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Well now you have. I call Middlewood Road and the road that continues to Stocksbridge the bottom road. It's also possible to get to Stocksbridge through Dykes Hall Road & Worrall. 

And as I've ponted out, the A6102 is too narrow in places to accommodate a tram track eg Middlewood to Oughtibridge by where the Middlewood Tavern used to be or the Bitholmes from the end of Ewden Valley to Deepcar. Steep drop to the Don on one side, steep hill on the other.

All the proposals I've heard about extending the tram to Stocksbridge involve using the path of old Woodhead railway line to Deepcar and then the Stocksbridge Works line to a terminus by Fox Valley shopping centre.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Seems quite a strange example to use as some beacon of wealth and success. 

It has been struggling in many other places and it's over pretentious Veggie Pret division spectacularly failed.

How about some of Pret's other closures like  prestigious parts of London such as Piccadilly,  Fleet Street or The Strand.  What about their closures in cities like Edinburgh, Cambridge, Cardiff, Glasgow, Norwich. What about their failed units in busy shopping centres like Lakeside or Metrocentre.   They couldn't "hold down" a Pret either.  As if that's supposedly some sort of measure.  

That's before we get onto the negative headlines like killing a customer by one of their mislabelled products, trapping one of their employees in a freezer, creating a subscription app which received some backlash from customers and intervention from the advertising regulator. 

After 74% drop in sales and a £400m debt after covid, their entire business strategy changed which included focus on out of town and streamlining of branches to make saving on rent.  Given Sheffield already has one branch at Meadowhall that was that.  

I think you're underestimate the sophisticated student market.  The independent coffee shops, which are far better quality always have a steady stream of customers, the sushi on far Eastern full vendors around Eyre Street and Division Street have a good following, so do the food halls. Sheffield Plate is particularly busy, even on a weekday.  With the new Cambridge Street Collective shortly due to open there will be the more choice available beyond what is just a sandwich shop franchise which was until recently part owned by McDonald's.  

I thought you knew about the catering market. 

Rumour has it Pret are trying again Sheffield, in the old pepperpot building on the corner of Pinstone Street/Cambridge Street. That's from a few months ago though so might be old/failed as a prospect.

Just now, SheffieldForum said:

I would make more sense for the Tram to run to Stocksbridge on the train tracks wouldn't it?

Similarly, the tram could fairly easily be routed to Dore and Totley on the train tracks.

Except, @SheffieldForum, it would have to be coordinated with the proper rail traffic, and, especially on the Dore/Totley link, there is already major difficulties with capacity - rail safety rules are extremely strict as regards traffic spacing.

• Like 2

Just now, RollingJ said:

Except, @SheffieldForum, it would have to be coordinated with the proper rail traffic, and, especially on the Dore/Totley link, there is already major difficulties with capacity - rail safety rules are extremely strict as regards traffic spacing.

Fair point. With the improvements happening to the line and station, I could see it becoming a little more viable nowadays.

1 minute ago, SheffieldForum said:

Fair point. With the improvements happening to the line and station, I could see it becoming a little more viable nowadays.

The capacity restrictions will remain though, for much of the route - it is single track on a large section.

• Like 1