Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

9 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

East Midlands, Manchester and Leeds/Bradford all within easy travelling distance, the difference is they have things worth visiting nearer than Sheffield.

What they have is bigger population centres that can sustain an airport. Passengers will be mainly Brits going abroad / returning.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all your posts.

Yes city centres change.  Yes physical retail is dying everywhere. However this is why Sheffield has a head-start! Because it's NEVER had a great retail offering. It has a very few listed buildings.  This is a blank canvas to do something original and different.

On 15/11/2023 at 09:55, Planner1 said:

How does it lag behind on transport?

Congestion is no worse than anywhere else.

Sheffield has had a tram system for over 20 years. People compare Sheffield unfavourably with Leeds but they have failed in 3 attempts to get a tram system. They look on us with envy.

Museums? I think ours compare favourably with those in similar size cities. 

As others are saying, some of the issue is geographical location, I’d say our location near larger cities such as Leeds and Manchester doesn’t do us any favours when looking to attract inward investment. Many seem to think we should be doing as well as those cities, but they are considerably bigger in terms of the populations of the city regions, so they get more government money and can often attract bigger investments.

My thought is, what is our unique selling point? The outdoor city? Is that going to attract the major investments people seem to  think we need?

Poor public transport costing Sheffield £2.3billion a year

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/poor-public-transport-costing-sheffield-22045790

The tram system is beyond a joke.  It only covers a fraction of the city and holds up traffic, buses and is a major dangerous obstacle for cyclists .

Who are these Leeds folk envious of Sheffield's tram system ?

Sheffield geography and location is also an advantage not an hindrance.

5 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

The tram system is beyond a joke.  It only covers a fraction of the city and holds up traffic, buses and is a major dangerous obstacle for cyclists .

How is it a dangerous obstacle? 

The only thing that makes it 'dangerous' is poor road craft of cyclists. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Poor public transport costing Sheffield £2.3billion a year

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/poor-public-transport-costing-sheffield-22045790

Who are these Leeds folk envious of Sheffield's tram system ?

Sheffield geography and location is also an advantage not an hindrance.

Pretty weak source . A three year old hatchet job from some trash web newspaper very selectively quoting out of a think tank opinion report that doesn't just talk about Sheffield but lots of other cities. 

I agree the tram system doesn't go everywhere and could do more, but, every time they even mention some proposal there's always a good part of the population shouting them down,  crying about the disruption it would cause, crying about how it will affect businesses, crying about how many nurses it could pay for....  

On last stats it still served 8.4 million passengers according to the DFT and it's passenger numbers previously reached as high as 15 million. Can't be that much of a joke because somebody is clearly using it.

I think it quite obvious Leeds is showing some envy over not having a tram. They'd been trying to push through plans and obtain funding for once since the 1970s, but suddenly had a rush of activity and failed proposals throughout the 1990s / early 2000s (which coincidentally was around the time that Sheffield supertram opened).  Even today, their regional mayor is making political pledges that the city will get their own "amazing tram system"

Makes a nice change for once for us to have something they don't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Resident said:

How is it a dangerous obstacle? 

they're slippery when wet and dangerous to cross at an angle. Anything less than 45° can do it

some of the routes that cyclists use end up leading them over the tram tracks - at an angle.

For example : heading east along Glossop road - crossing the ring road onto West street.  (I've seen a few crashes here).

32 minutes ago, ads36 said:

they're slippery when wet and dangerous to cross at an angle. Anything less than 45° can do it

some of the routes that cyclists use end up leading them over the tram tracks - at an angle.

For example : heading east along Glossop road - crossing the ring road onto West street.  (I've seen a few crashes here).

Lots of things get slippery when wet.

Cyclists maybe need to slow down and take care of their own safety. Just like most drivers slow down and adjust their position when driving over  crossing over time tracks or pedestrians slow down take care when crossing over an obviously slippery surface.  There's even warning signs pointing out the hazard. 

Hardly think it's the greatest problem. After all, there are tram tracks in over cities all over Europe with far bigger numbers of cyclists than here. They seem to cope just fine. 

i was just answering a question.

there is a ... request (?) from Sheffield's Cycle campaigners to consider, where possible, if designated cycle routes could be ... designed/whatever so that the angle-of-attack can minimise the danger of slipping.

which seems reasonable to me...

Edited by ads36