Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

I tend to go shopping in order to buy things, which I generally manage to do in the out of town retail parks and the large supermarkets, everyone to their own.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's more of a clothes store with a few home bits in the corner. Whereas Atkinson's has dedicated department staff and dedicated desks for each section, for example the furniture has its own desk and the electrical department has its own desk. Next is more of a shop with a few frills. The cafe is run by Costa and not unique to Next.

Who gives a flying toss?  the cafes in Atkinsons are not owned by Atkinsons. Most of the cafes in Debenhams were not owned by Debenhams. The vast majority lease a space for a catering company or a brand to join it.  It's why John Lewis has Bendigo. It's why Selfridges has Pizza Pilgrims or San Carlo.  Its why Harrods has got Gordon Ramsay, Tom Kerridge and Tiffany Blue Box.  It's why Harvey Nichols have got Burger&Lobster.

None of which crap has anything to do with  something being a department store or not.  Neither does whether a store has dedicated counters and staffing each section which is clearly not the case in Atkinsons, certainly was never was the case at Debenhams and even isn't the case in prestige ones like Selfridges.

Department store (noun) 

A large shop divided into several different parts, each of which sells different things.

That's it. That's your definition. That's the reference. Sod all to do with staffing levels. Sod all to do with cafes. You will be claiming next, it's not a proper department store unless it's got escalators in.

Just give it up. Once again you blurt stuff out completely wrong.  Jesus Christ. It's like dealing with a child with you sometimes.  Mind , you claim to still be a foetus I suppose.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 15/11/2023 at 01:03, 26b-6 said:

Sheffield lags so far behind many other UK cities and towns in almost every measurable area, planning, innovativeness, transport, museums, urbanism, pocket-parks, architecture, new businesses start ups, street-art and so on....

Whom, why and what do think makes this town so far behind other places?

On the plus side though Sheffield City Trust appear progressive, Sheffield's westerly suburbs are interesting and it's close proximity to the peak district is appealing.

Simple answer - Labour

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blimp said:

Simple answer - Labour

Hi Harvey. Any chance you can start using your old account again and stop being silly? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Hi Harvey. Any chance you can start using your old account again and stop being silly? 

I don't know who Harvey is and I'm not being silly - I'm voicing my opinion, as are you

6 minutes ago, Blimp said:

I don't know who Harvey is and I'm not being silly - I'm voicing my opinion, as are you

I don't think you're Harvey,  carry on...........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

M&S is a department store, yes. TK Maxx is probably just about one., though it doesn't have a cafe. Next is a clothing and furniture shop. Primark is a clothing shop with select homeware collection. 

Traditional department stores were Castle House, Sunwin House, TJ Hughes etc. All of those had dedicated staff for each departments and a cafe.

IKEA have a great place to wander around and the cafe there is nice ...food is good and prices are very reasonable! Sorry its at meadowhall plenty of free parking as well .

Edited by gaz 786
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

I don't think you're Harvey,  carry on...........

Thank you cressida

32 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

was never was the case at Debenhams and even isn't the case in prestige ones like Selfridges.

Oh, I must have imagined the dedicated gift and game shop desks in Debenham's and the dedicated make up desks, with demonstration boutiques in Debenham's and the dedicated fragrance brand representatives in Selfridge's then. I am sure Next has all of those things. My local Tesco sells pens and note pads, I suppose you would call that a department store as well!

5 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

IKEA have a great place to wander around and the cafe there is nice ...food is good and prices are very reasonable! Sorry its at meadowhall plenty of free parking as well .

I have never been to IKEA but thank you for the insight, it sounds like it's definitely worth a visit. I bet Meadowhall were kicking themselves when it opened a stone's throw away.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blimp said:

I don't know who Harvey is

Of course you don't. 

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:
46 minutes ago, Blimp said:

I don't know who Harvey is

Of course you don't.

whatever

16 minutes ago, Blimp said:

whatever

Are you a teenage girl?