Any Former Abbey Lane School Pupils Here?

I always remember this old school fondly. I left in '77 and still think about the good times.

Can't help wondering what happened to the teachers. Mr Jackson, Mr Staniforth, Mrs Palfreyman, etc.

Retired? Deffo. Still with us?

My first term at school was there. A bit before your time though. 1962 to be exact. Mrs Blackhurst was the first of many teachers given the thankless task of trying to educate me. 
We flitted to Heeley after my first term and I then went to Lowfield.

I’d like to say happy days but that wouldn’t be an accurate description of my schooldays.

Abbey Laner here. 

Fond memories.

Mr Staniforth was my footy coach, I remember he looked a bit like Magnum with his tache! I played for Abbey Lane for a few years. 

A kid called Michael Count was a star up front!!

I can smell his chewing gum now!

Mr Clark the head master was lovely bloke

Yes       Started at Abbey lane county school as it was called,in 1948 and hated every minuet of it

Miss Davies was head teacher  Miss Orcland my first form teacher. I dont think the standard of education was very good after 5 years I failed the 11 plus,and then went to Jordanthorpe secondary modern that was no better.

Anyway back to Abbey Lane,   I remember the smell ,     the piles of coke  at the front  for the heating  Mr Sargent was in charge of that. I remember the cane which I was given on a regular basis.The air raid shelters the field at the back  I remember the brown school uniform  with  the  initials on the blazer pocket, A.L.S.   we said this stood for all lazy scholars.   I remember the ride to school in dads Ford 8. the ride home with mom on a tram for 1p in old money.   If you were lucky you got to clean the ink wells on friday afternoon.  I remember the fart machines we used to make. this usually lead to more cane

Any way thats enough  The memories are happier than time in school. I apologise for the bad spelling and bad grammer           I went to Abbey Lane School.

Kind Regards,

Brian.

• Haha 1

All 5 of my children have been taught at Abbey Lane and my late wife was a school governor for a period 

They were there during the period that John Clarke and Frank Dobson were in charge 

Both of them were great Heads and excellent human beings.

They all have happy memories of the teachers and their time there and have all benefited from the start thr school gave them 

Some names of teachers you may remember, I’ll try and add more as they come to me :

Mrs Palfreyman 

Mrs Pryjomko

Mrs Fletcher 

Mr Jackson 

Mr Bierton 

Mrs Verhardt- Lane 

Mrs Walker 

Miss Popple 

Miss Philipson 

( Apologies if I’ve spelt any names wrong )

Mrs Lawrence was the main cook 

Mrs Hall and Mrs Lowe ably assisted in the school office 

I think there was a thread about Abbey Lane School on this forum a few years ago.

I was a pupil there 1956-62 and can’t agree with Brian that the education wasn’t good,as I passed the 11+ and so went to Sheffield High School.

Everybody in that J4A class under the unforgiving eye of Mr.Askham, passed the exam and moved on to various schools all over the city.

Teachers I remember (apart from Mr. Askham,of course)are Mrs.Steele,Mrs.Pallister,Mrs.Bullass,Mr. Norris and Mr.Rosling.The Head Teacher was Miss Barton and the caretaker was Mr Sargent.

Schools were certainly very different places then ,but I enjoyed my time at Abbey Lane and would love to hear from anyone who was there at the same time.