Everyone Arrested Will Be Tested For Drug Use

Middle class recreational drug users fuel child abuse by drugs gangs says the Home Secretary. She has a point doesn't she? Either way the thought of being compulsory tested for drug use might focus some minds that perhaps that cheeky line or spliff at the weekend isn't as harmless as it seems.

Priti Patel is to introduce drug testing on arrest across all 43 police forces in England and Wales under a crackdown on recreational use and to prevent offenders’ habit spiralling into violent crime.

Setting out the £15 million plan in an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, the Home Secretary said it would better identify those breaking the law through drug use, but also those who were dependent and need help to kick their addiction.

Anyone testing positive after arrest for “trigger” crimes such as theft, fraud or drug possession would be required to be assessed for treatment. Those who refuse face prosecution with a maximum penalty of up to six months in jail or a £2,500 fine.

“Drugs devastate lives,” she said. “They ruin communities and they tear families apart. Testing offenders for drugs will help increase our understanding of drug-fuelled crimes, ensure addicts get the help they need, and ultimately cut crime.” 

Ms Patel also warned that recreational middle-class drug users faced being named and shamed as she attacked their refusal to accept their habit was fuelling the exploitation of children by county lines crime gangs.

Asked if the UK’s middle class were too laissez faire in their attitude to drugs, she replied: “There’s no question about this. The harsh reality is, and I just don’t think drug users recognise this enough, children are being used as a pawn in that supply chain, kids as young as seven years old.

“How can anybody think that it’s okay, through addiction, habit or recreational use, to think that that is acceptable? It is not acceptable. It is completely wrong.”

Yes the aspiring middle class drug users contribute majorly to child abuse and teenage gang violence.

Unfortunately cannabis users will be hit hardest as evidence stays in the blood for much longer than most drugs.

All workers should be tested for alcohol and mind altering drugs randomly to see if they are fit and capable anyway,  as they are in many jobs already. 

It should be grounds for dismissal if part of an employment contract.

It should not be a criminal offence.

Any Police cautions or records for use should be time limited and should not be a bar to future employment- particularly for young people. 

Alternatively, drugs should be legalised, and testing should only occur where there is suspicion of impairment.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Middle class recreational drug users fuel child abuse by drugs gangs says the Home Secretary. She has a point doesn't she? Either way the thought of being compulsory tested for drug use might focus some minds that perhaps that cheeky line or spliff at the weekend isn't as harmless as it seems.

A minor iteration on the decades long war on drugs that has yet to stop people using drugs.

This Government are going power-crazy.  They've enforced lockdown due to Covid, changed the laws on demonstrations and are now giving extra powers to the police to criminalise yet more people.  I've never seen figures on how many people are arrested, then released without charge (although I've regularly read about many cases in enquiries in the press), but perhaps now it will be "Arrest them for something, then see if we can do them for drug use".

Someone tell me what the treatment for occasional MDMA use is, and how much the assessment for that is going to cost.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

So afterthey have been tested, what will happen?

If this is a serious thing, then I assume they will get help to give up or a hefty jail sentance? If that does not happen, then it is a minor issue.

I understand there is already a shortage of help for drug users.

Whilst watcher police road crime shows, it seems to me that when drivers are tested for cannabis use, the tests pick of cannabis use from previous days.

Surely if they smoke cannabis on Monday, it does not affect their driving on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday?

Edited by Mister M

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So afterthey have been tested, what will happen?

If this is a serious thing, then I assume they will get help to give up or a hefty jail sentance? If that does not happen, then it is a minor issue.

I understand there is already a shortage of help for drug users.

Whilst watcher police road crime shows, it seems to me that when drivers are tested for cannabis use, the tests pick of cannabis use from previous days.

Surely if they smoke cannabis on Monday, it does not affect their driving on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday?

You can't be charged with a crime for having drug traces in your system, so it will be a massive waste of money assessing people for non-existent 'treatments'. If you have a phone that isn't a Fairphone, you've probably facilitated the abuse of child labour in cobalt mines in DRC - so when people are arrested let's check their make of phone as well and give them a copy of Das Kapital to read? Wearing clothes made in Bangladesh? Then you're complicit in child and sexual abuse. Capitalism is the problem, drugs are just another product in the system.

A step in the right direction to offer some long-overdue stick to the degenerates of all classes who think taking illegal drugs is acceptable.

41 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Someone tell me what the treatment for occasional MDMA use is, and how much the assessment for that is going to cost.

I don't know, but that's alot of tests the police will be doing. The cost of tests? I don't know.

Fortunately, the government know somebody who does testing, at a very reasonable price.

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I don't know, but that's alot of tests the police will be doing. The cost of tests? I don't know.

Fortunately, the government know somebody who does testing, at a very reasonable price.

And they're all good pals with Sajid Javid.

There is no treatment for MDMA use by the way, because problem MDMA use isn't really a thing. And the only 'treatment' for cannabis and cocaine use is someone sitting down with you and discussing how you can reduce your intake. Which, if your intake is not problematic, is a total waste of everyone's time.

Edited by Delbow