South Yorkshire Bus Service Needs Improvement

16 hours ago, redruby said:

Smartphones are great, I use mine everyday.  I don’t use it much for payments, just the occasional online payment.  I don’t use it shops or for public transport, although it could come in useful if I don’t have an alternative sometime.  I use online banking but not on a phone app.  
Why? because it would be enough of a pain in the backside if I lost my phone without having to deal with effectively losing a wallet and I don’t want to rely on my phone for absolutely everything.  I think I’d also be more likely to damage or lose it if used it for payment when out and about regularly.   There’s nothing Luddite about, I think it’s sensible but it’s personal preference too, if someone wants their whole life on their phone that’s their choice (and maybe risk)

Losing your phone vs losing your wallet, in terms of the financial, I'd rather lose the phone. 

My phone is protected by a number of security systems (PIN, Biometrics). If I lose that then at least no-one is getting access to my cash.

Any SENSIBLE person will have insurance on their mobile device (I have mine on a plan that see my device replaced within as little as 4hrs)

@Irene Swaine You're clearly abusive to your tech. I've worked in offices with company devices that have seen "field use" and not had even a tenth of your failure rate.

Now I know from your postings on here that your evidently an individual with narcissistic and other 'dark' personality traits so you'll instantly refute that. I would seriously look at some professional help if I were you.

ANYWAY TO BRING THIS SCREAMING BACK ON TO TOPIC

When Oliver Coppard formed the SYMCA he said it was to improve services across the county. Now most people are focused on the buses themselves but there is another area that is under the purview of the SYMCA and that is the infrastructure. Bus stations, bus stops & customer services.

These seem to be getting worse to the point that they may as well not be there. 

Over the last few months I've noticed:

• Bus shelters with lights are being turned off, leaving then dark and potentially unsafe
  • Bus shelters  being removed and in replacement, just a single pole, some being in poorly lit/unlit areas which makes them difficult to see
  • Bus station runways deteriorating to a point that they must be causing damage to vehicles. In Sheffield bus station there is a 5" deep pot-crater at C6. Throughout the bus-station at Sheffield and Rotherham the runway surfaces are in a major state of disrepair. 
  • Bus station staff  such as customer care personnel. Can't remember the last time I saw them walking around the station making sure everything was ok etc in Sheffield and only occasionally at Rotherham however even when they do in Rotherham they do nothing to deal with any anti-social behaviour. At night you'll find them hiding in the back office.

SYMCA receives funding from both the government and the operators who pay for these facilities and it clearly isn't being spent on them, so where's it going?

3 hours ago, Resident said:

SYMCA receives funding from both the government and the operators who pay for these facilities and it clearly isn't being spent on them, so where's it going?

The MCA like all  branches of local government is suffering the effects of decades of under funding by successive governments. All the issues you mention might be viewed as problems that may result from reduced budgets. If you really want to know, send them a complaint and ask why these things are happening.

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The MCA like all  branches of local government is suffering the effects of decades of under funding by successive governments. All the issues you mention might be viewed as problems that may result from reduced budgets. If you really want to know, send them a complaint and ask why these things are happening.

Sent several complaints in, all polite and received no reply. 

Maybe I should wait till his next public appearance and ambush him... 

Edited by Resident

39 minutes ago, Resident said:

Sent several complaints in, all polite and received no reply. 

Maybe I should wait till his next public appearance and ambush him... 

Did you mark them clearly as being a complaint? ( COMPLAINT at the top isn’t subtle, but makes sure they can’t claim they thought it was just an inquiry / comment)

They have a formal complaints process, described here which says they should contact you within 3 days of receipt.

If you did make it clear they were complaints, I think I’d send them one last complaint, referring to or copying your previous complaints and asking why they aren’t following their own procedures.

Give them a week then put in a complaint to the local government ombudsman.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Resident said:

@Irene Swaine

When Oliver Coppard formed the SYMCA he said it was to improve services across the county. Now most people are focused on the buses themselves but there is another area that is under the purview of the SYMCA and that is the infrastructure. Bus stations, bus stops & customer services.

These seem to be getting worse to the point that they may as well not be there. 

Over the last few months I've noticed:

• Bus shelters  being removed and in replacement, just a single pole, some being in poorly lit/unlit areas which makes them difficult to see

My bold. 

Someone has taken the decision to remove a perfectly good bus shelter with a working electronic timetable from a site at Abbeydale Road / Edge dale Road junction in the past few weeks, where it has stood for decades & replaced it with a single pole & no timetable of any sort. 

Edited by Baron99

The shelter at that location was demolished when a car crashed into it. I was hoping the pole was a temporary replacement until a new shelter could be installed, but it’s looking more like it will be permanent.

Guest busdriver1

PB0000092/379 Registered
THE YORKSHIRE TRACTION CO LTD
Route: Manor Top to Manor Top via Royal Hallamshire Hospital
Service number: 10 (10A)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 23 Jul 2023

On Valley Road after the number 10 had route had been abolished the old bus shelter was removed and a brand new one erected with no service at all on Valley Road.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
11 hours ago, spilldig said:

On Valley Road after the number 10 had route had been abolished the old bus shelter was removed and a brand new one erected with no service at all on Valley Road.

There was a tender in place to find an operator for it, that has now been found and the service restarts on 23 July. The route was never abolished they were just struggling to find an operator prepared to run it.

Bus drivers never say "thankyou sir" when you exit the bus

Which is not good

22 minutes ago, rogets said:

Bus drivers never say "thankyou sir" when you exit the bus

Which is not good

Do you say thank you to them? And I usually find they appreciate it and respond.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Do you say thank you to them? And I usually find they appreciate it and respond.

Most likely not since he'll have remonstrated because of time points. 😂

• Haha 2