Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So just to be absolutely clear - what you are suggesting is that students should be forced to get a test or if they fail to do so, they will be held against their will in the university grounds debarred from leaving to travel home or elsewhere.  Right?

Have you actually considered the small legal, moral and human rights complications arising from such actions.

My bold

No!!  Nowhere did Presley suggest locking them up, that was a crazy suggestion... according to Presley.  Though Presley hasn't been able to answer what should be done if students don't have a test, despite saying they shouldn't be allowed to travel.

Maybe my cognitive processes have been slowed down by the virus...

Anyway, it's a tricky situation.  Students will have to isolate from the moment they have their test, so that they don't contract the virus whilst waiting for the result, or it'll just be a waste if time and resources.

15 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So just to be absolutely clear - what you are suggesting is that students should be forced to get a test or if they fail to do so, they will be held against their will in the university grounds debarred from leaving to travel home or elsewhere.  Right?

Have you actually considered the small legal, moral and human rights complications arising from such actions.

isnt it the same as any national, or regional lockdowns? you stay at home until either safe (as in self isolating) or told you can come out again, like these national ones we are currently under?

students still have a "home" even if its not their family home

23 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I agree it makes no common sense to have any eat out scheme that worked in August during the winter months. We didn't see spikes in Covid-19 when the beaches were crowded in July and August because the summer months don't spread the virus like the winter months do. The news today that during the summer the economy grew fast should give us hope things will get better next year once the vaccines are rolled out and we move out of the winter months.

A lot of the 'Eat out to help out' dining was al fresco in the lovely weather. Not likely in winter.

28 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Anyway, it's a tricky situation.  Students will have to isolate from the moment they have their test, so that they don't contract the virus whilst waiting for the result, or it'll just be a waste if time and resources.

I’ve asked both of mine to get tested. If they are negative, I’m going to bring them home by car, to minimise the chance of them catching it on the journey.

I guess I’m not alone in this solution.

I’ve no idea what to do if they test positive, or decide that they don’t want the test.

30 minutes ago, enntee said:

One of the exceptions to lockdown is being able to travel for education.

last lockdown EVERYTHING was locked down, this time its more confusing with certain things locked down and other things (like education) not locked down

Just now, melthebell said:

last lockdown EVERYTHING was locked down, this time its more confusing with certain things locked down and other things (like education) not locked down

I guess if this lockdown doesn't work and the cases spiral up again before the virus has been rolled out, then we'll be heading for lockdown#3.  In that case, I hope + expect that education at all levels will have to be locked down as well.  Let's hope it doesn't get that far.

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I guess if this lockdown doesn't work and the cases spiral up again before the virus has been rolled out, then we'll be heading for lockdown#3.  In that case, I hope + expect that education at all levels will have to be locked down as well.  Let's hope it doesn't get that far.

Indeed, since the original one and the government were trying to say education is safe ive been against the idea of keeping schools and colleges open.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I’ve asked both of mine to get tested. If they are negative, I’m going to bring them home by car, to minimise the chance of them catching it on the journey.

I guess I’m not alone in this solution.

I’ve no idea what to do if they test positive, or decide that they don’t want the test.

If you're all following all the precautions, you should be OK.  You can also isolate from each other within the same house, if someone is positive, though that still puts a damper on Christmas, I suppose!

I made the comment because I tested positive 2 days after having a negative test.  Though given my situation, I suppose it was inevitable that I'd get it sooner or later...

23 minutes ago, Becky B said:

If you're all following all the precautions, you should be OK.  You can also isolate from each other within the same house, if someone is positive, though that still puts a damper on Christmas, I suppose!

I made the comment because I tested positive 2 days after having a negative test.  Though given my situation, I suppose it was inevitable that I'd get it sooner or later...

I can always bung one or other of them

in the attic. It’s just getting them here thst might be tricky.

Hope the bloody thing doesn’t cause you too much bother and that you are up and about quickly 

3 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

The lockdowns, tier systems,  will still be active till next summer unti the Vaccine has been distributed  from top to bottom of the designated recipients. 

4 hours ago, Becky B said:

Hope you feel better (if you’ve any food in the cupboard you aren’t keen on, now is the time to have it!)

8 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

The lockdowns, tier systems,  will still be active till next summer unti the Vaccine has been distributed  from top to bottom of the designated recipients. 

Prof Devi Sridhar made an interesting point the other day that some countries are not proposing a mass roll out of vaccinations as they have got the virus under to control with other measures. Apparently they would just use vaccinations to control any outbreaks that arise. I think South Korea and Australia where mentioned. 
Australia had a very tough and long lockdown but it worked. The so called ‘lockdown’ we have here now is not a lockdown at all. The traffic yesterday morning couldn’t have been far off normal pre-covid levels.   It feels like the government think that if they pretend that covid transmission won’t be a problem in schools then it won’t be problem. But clearly it was a big factor in starting this second wave and will continue to be a problem whilst ever kids are in school. 

Edited by redruby