Coronavirus - Part Two.

Back on topic now please. If you want to solely discuss school curriculums feel free to start a thread.

Thank you.

Read  the "Interpretation " part of The Lancet article. Currently it is not known how long antibody immunity lasts for.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30764-7/fulltext

Before anybody gets carried away with, "OMG. You can get it again".

Paragraph 3 of the Discussion  is worth a close read.

Edited by petemcewan

4 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

so if you have had covid you can catch it again...is that correct  ?

thanks

It doesn’t mean that really. 

Johnson is following the rules that his government have set in place. T + T have told him to self isolate, so that’s what he has to do. It’s nothing to do with catching it twice, just the way that the system works.

It isn’t yet known if you can catch it twice. It looks unlikely though, given the large number of infections worldwide and the tiny number of reinfections.

A problem that has to be solved and confronted.Who should get the vaccine first.

Should it be the elderly and the vulnerable first ?

Or should it be the "super spreaders" first ?

Of the two straightedges, which one is likely to result in suppressing

Cov-19 ,to the point where some semblance of  normal life is restored ?

7 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

A problem that has to be solved and confronted.Who should get the vaccine first.

Should it be the elderly and the vulnerable first ?

Or should it be the "super spreaders" first ?

Of the two straightedges, which one is likely to result in suppressing

Cov-19 ,to the point where some semblance of  normal life is restored ?

I thought it had already bee decided?  The elderly and the vulnerable first.

One might argue it's better to vaccinate super-spreaders first but I think the general public expect those most likely to die or be severely ill from the virus to get the vaccine first.

7 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

so if you have had covid you can catch it again...is that correct  ?

thanks

Well.  Just listening to the news on the radio, with a report about Johnson isolating.  They had a quote from Professor Danny Altman, an immunologist from Imperial College London, who said "having had the virus previously is no protection".

Which begs the question - how the hell is the vaccine going to work?  It's 20 years since I studied any immunology, so I may be missing a key point here, but surely the human immune system hasn't changed its basic mechanisms in that time?

Edited by Becky B

Becky B.

Read the Lancet Article carefully. Danny Altman is out on his own and it's an opinion he is expressing.

Vaccination is not compromised .

With respect,I suggest you read up on the part played by T-cells in the immune system-and how the mRNA vaccine stimulates both Cell Mediated Immunity and Humoral Immunity.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00594/full

There's a lot of mischief yet to be generated around the efficacy and effectiveness of  the mRNA vaccine  for Cov-19 and it won't just be anti-vaxers  stepping up to the Oche.

Edited by petemcewan

6 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Becky B.

Read the Lancet Article carefully. Danny Altman is out on his own and it's an opinion he is expressing.

Vaccination is not compromised .

With respect,I suggest you read up on the part played by T-cells in the immune system-and how the mRNA vaccine stimulates both Cell Mediated Immunity and Humoral Immunity.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.00594/full

There's a lot of mischief yet to be generated around the efficacy and effectiveness of  the mRNA vaccine  for Cov-19 and it won't just be anti-vaxers  stepping up to the Oche.

Just heard on news that making the vaccine mandatory is being discussed.

Not too sure about that.... there are quite a lot of people against it.

355 million vaccine doses ordered so far.

I wonder how much that's costing?

6 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

355 million vaccine doses ordered so far.

I wonder how much that's costing?

On the radio it said some cost £10 each, where as others cost £4/£5 each

Given the UK population is estimated at 68million, and around 75% would agree to take the vaccine, that's only around 7 doses each assuming that ALL the vaccines ordered work AND pass all the tests that the Government's regulatory bodies put them through AND there is no wastage (if its thawed out and not used within a few minutes, it has to be thrown).  Methinks we're not going to have enough, even for the elderly and HNS front-line staff .

The cost of getting it - no idea.  The cost of not ordering it may be measured in lives.

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Given the UK population is estimated at 68million, and around 75% would agree to take the vaccine, that's only around 7 doses each assuming that ALL the vaccines ordered work AND pass all the tests that the Government's regulatory bodies put them through AND there is no wastage (if its thawed out and not used within a few minutes, it has to be thrown).  Methinks we're not going to have enough, even for the elderly and HNS front-line staff .

The cost of getting it - no idea.  The cost of not ordering it may be measured in lives.

Isn’t one of the vaccines made in Belgium? That might be a tad awkward by January.