Coronavirus - Part Two.

7 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello ECCO

My Bold.

Does any one think Cori V gives a monkeys about Legal, Moral and Human Rights, pro or anti  wearing masks, whether the Campus has a fence around it or even that the government think Education is more important than controlling this virus - Does it hell as like. 

No one's safe.

Hello Tom.

I thought the ferrying of their Children to Uni was something all parents (were conned into) - Sorry -  did.

(I know I've done my share) 

(Nearly) everybody gasped when lock down was announced but not for Students or School Children .

Grandkids school has only just re opened after four teachers tested positive along with several parents and Children in an area that had low numbers of cases prior to the kids going back after the first lock down.

Yes Education is Important but why more couldn't be done on line rather than expose this younger generation to the dangers of Cori V puzzles me. 

After all, if our Government can organize a World beating Track and Trace  system ,surely they could  point  a few kids in the right direction on a computer ???????.

Keep safe.

No, but we as a society should.

As for our Government organizing a world beating Track and Trace system, when is that happening? Just a mechanism to transfer huge amounts of public money into private hands in a very short space of time.

I daresay there will be minimal funding to provide access to computers and broadband for every schoolkid in the land, so those on limited means will be left further behind.

Cheers Tory voters.

12 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

As for our Government organizing a world beating Track and Trace system, when is that happening? Just a mechanism to transfer huge amounts of public money into private hands in a very short space of time.

I daresay there will be minimal funding to provide access to computers and broadband for every schoolkid in the land, so those on limited means will be left further behind.

Cheers Tory voters.

Hello Bargepole 

My 'World beating track and trace' was definitely tongue in cheek Bargepole.

Again 'Society, Wealth, Affiliations, Age, Sex, Health  I'll stand by my 'this Virus doesn't give a Monkeys' as has more than been proven.

Our beloved leader has chucked millions and Billions into other projects and after all it has been his insistence that education is something that is so important even while lock downs are in place  should continue, even to the determent of Students and Locals where these education centers  are,  time to re-think Borris.  

There can't be that many People / Children who haven't some access to a computer / laptop / I pad etc now-a-days - even our 2 year old Grandkid can work his way around my Amazon Fire. 

There can't be any Student who hasn't got a Lap Top that they couldn't  keep up with their course work in a safer environment. 

Keep safe.

6 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Bargepole 

My 'World beating track and trace' was definitely tongue in cheek Bargepole.

Again 'Society, Wealth, Affiliations, Age, Sex, Health  I'll stand by my 'this Virus doesn't give a Monkeys' as has more than been proven.

Our beloved leader has chucked millions and Billions into other projects and after all it has been his insistence that education is something that is so important even while lock downs are in place  should continue, even to the determent of Students and Locals where these education centers  are,  time to re-think Borris.  

There can't be that many People / Children who haven't some access to a computer / laptop / I pad etc now-a-days - even our 2 year old Grandkid can work his way around my Amazon Fire. 

There can't be any Student who hasn't got a Lap Top that they couldn't  keep up with their course work in a safer environment. 

Keep safe.

I'm sure most households have access to a pc or tablet, in fact the figures i saw were 4% don't. Those 4% are likely to include the poorest families, left behind and falling further behind.

In households with perhaps 2 or 3 school age kids, that's 2 or 3 laptops needed. Is that affordable for a lot of households? Very easy to sit in your own circumstances and think "just get another laptop". For many, that's impossible.

Unfortunately, the government of the day are concerned with themselves.

14 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Cheers Tory voters.

Indeed, our very own sheffield star has had an appeal for some time now  for unused laptops for kids in this very city. How it pays for broadband I don’t know and free sources such as Starbucks and libraries are shut.

28 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Indeed, our very own sheffield star has had an appeal for some time now  for unused laptops for kids in this very city. How it pays for broadband I don’t know and free sources such as Starbucks and libraries are shut.

last time just kids of essential workers were at school, that seemed to work, the rest worked from home. it meant you had 3 or 5 in a class rather than 55 (easier to social distance etc)

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

I'm sure most households have access to a pc or tablet, in fact the figures i saw were 4% don't. Those 4% are likely to include the poorest families, left behind and falling further behind.

In households with perhaps 2 or 3 school age kids, that's 2 or 3 laptops needed. Is that affordable for a lot of households? Very easy to sit in your own circumstances and think "just get another laptop". For many, that's impossible.

Tablets are good for some things but I'm not sure they are that good for long periods of distance learning.

4% is a lot of households and I caught an interview with a teacher a few weeks ago and his real-life experience was that there was a lot of children who didn't have or couldn't get enough access to suitable technology. 

The ad-hoc distance learning solutions which have evolved are fine to a point and would probably be ok for a short period but this looks like it's going to be longer than a short term thing. 

If the government is willing to invest the money and the time, then they could do a proper job and make a long term solution which would be useful now and in the longer term to help with things like revision, illness, extra tutoring, bad weather, future pandemics etc. 

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

3 kids 3 Laptops ??????????

Perhaps children ought to go back to basics for a start off and learn how to share.

It's a shame this country's industry's were decimated the little darlings could have left skool and gone straight to work.

I like the plan how we can all go out and retrain, become Bricklayers, plasterers, etc etc, sure make a change from having everybody being encouraged to go to being Marine Biologists or into the Hospitality trade. lol

How did we manage having to use books or gain hands on experience in the real world i'll never know.

Keep safe

1 minute ago, Rockers rule said:

3 kids 3 Laptops ??????????

Perhaps children ought to go back to basics for a start off and learn how to share.

It's a shame this country's industry's were decimated the little darlings could have left skool and gone straight to work.

I like the plan how we can all go out and retrain, become Bricklayers, plasterers, etc etc, sure make a change from having everybody being encouraged to go to being Marine Biologists or into the Hospitality trade. lol

How did we manage having to use books or gain hands on experience in the real world i'll never know.

Keep safe

How will that work? The reason they need laptops is so they can do lessons online with zoom or teams.  And with public schools, those lessons ran for most of the school day - and really that should be the aim for state schools. So how would one laptop work for 3 kids aged say 8,12 and 15 - and that’s before we look at homework.

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

How will that work? The reason they need laptops is so they can do lessons online with zoom or teams.  And with public schools, those lessons ran for most of the school day - and really that should be the aim for state schools. So how would one laptop work for 3 kids aged say 8,12 and 15 - and that’s before we look at homework.

Hey I'm only a Recovery Driver,

how should I know about online lessons?

I can only leave it up to our wonderful Government Coz they know best.

Keep safe Tinfoil.

11 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

It's not just access to laptops but to tech support as well. Heaven knows they go wrong often enough, (or are used incorrectly by mistake.) IT can be very unreliable, and without someone to help sort you out it's going to be very difficult. 

I know quite a few teachers. During the first Lockdown they say that the online stuff was a nightmare for all sorts of reasons, and not a patch on a proper classroom experience. A very poor second, in which a lot of kids are disadvantaged.

Edited by Anna B

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's not just access to laptops but to tech support as well. Heaven knows they go wrong often enough, (or are used incorrectly by mistake.) IT can be very unreliable, and without someone to help sort you out it's going to be very difficult. 

I know quite a few teachers. During the first Lockdown they say that the online stuff was a nightmare for all sorts of reasons, and not a patch on a proper classroom experience. A very poor second, in which a lot of kids are disadvantaged.

My Bold

Proper Classroom Experience.

In our Grandkids Experience.

One pupil gets Cori V so because he's in the same bubble  is asked not to come in & self isolate (but his younger brother can come in ???)

Next day younger Grandkids asked not to come in etc because a Teacher has Cori V.

School keeps open - with windows open - but that's alright because they have underfloor heating ??????

By this time two Teachers have Cori V.

Next day 4 Teachers have Cori V  - School Shuts

and god knows how many Parents have been infected through taking their Children to School- including one of our other daughters.

Yep Ann nothing like the Proper Classroom Experience circa 2020.

Keep safe