Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

I thought it was because you cannot look at a brown person and call them a Pakistani because they might be from Indian etc.

:rolleyes::|:|:|

If you want to know what's wrong with free speech in this country - Have a look at the state of Speakers Corner as a benchmark of what's to come.

There's too may people these days who cant take criticism, who therefore try denying free speech 'as it offensive'.

Nobody has the right not to be offended.

Some people are even offended by truth !

Free speech will be a hot topic in the immediate future as Social Media grows and becomes available to everybody.

Some people however love being 'offensive' for the sake of it - and will hide behind free speech to do so.

Everybody has different definitions of free speech too.

Its a very difficult topic to police - especially if you thrive on being offended, like a lot of left leaning people do :hihi:

Though to be fair some high profile right wingers thrive on being offensive.

Is Albert now clear on why black and white boards are so named?

How about his right to use homophobic or racist slang terms, is that one covered now?

I don't use the P word but have no idea why it is offensive ,Perhaps I am dim.

Perhaps you can explain just what is wrong with an abbreviation.

There was some video footage from a few years back where an EDL supporter at one of their events was screaming "something, something you <removed> <removed>" in the face of a brown skinned man wearing a turban. We can presume from his choice of headgear that he was a Sikh and was therefore more likely to be from the Punjab than Pakistan.

The EDL supporter was not using it as an abbreviation, she was using it as a term of abuse.

Edited by nikki-red

I think so, because the use of those are covered under freedom of speech.

---------- Post added 10-11-2018 at 22:01 ----------

So, hold on, what you are saying is that the use of abbreviations or contractions (a contraction is when the new word finishes with the same letter it would have done so with anyway - e.g. Dr is a contraction of Doctor - c.f. the <removed> word) is ok as long as you don't use it in a derogatory way?

Who makes up these rules? And what right do they have to do so?

Edited by nikki-red

Good point, in a lot of places I worked in Toronto and other areas of Ontario, there was a glut of workers from all over the place and we had fun calling each other names like limey, yank, wap, polak, dago, rasta, russkie and many others. It was always in fun and never malicious. Didn't we in the UK have our own slang names too like Jock, Taffy, Mick/Paddy etc etc.? Why on earth can't we just get along and have a bit of fun with ourselves, wherever we all come from?

My mother's eldest sister met and married a scot who was working in Sheffield just after the war. I never heard him being called anything other than Jock, even by my aunt, and he was Uncle Jock to us kids. It was only when he died that I found out he had another name. :)

Is Albert now clear on why black and white boards are so named?

How about his right to use homophobic or racist slang terms, is that one covered now?

I am now puzzled why they are allowing Strictly come wetching to be filmed at BLACK POOL.

I am now puzzled why they are allowing Strictly come wetching to be filmed at BLACK POOL.

Perhaps for your benefit they should let "... Strictly come wetching to be filmed at..." DUB LIN.

We have the right to free speech in the UK, enshrined in the Human Rights Act, but there are a large number of exceptions - more than in most western countries. Some of the exceptions are vague and subjective, while others are impossible to disprove ('I was alarmed by what he said').

It's a pity not so much emphasis is put on 'free listening' as on 'free speech'.

So far as I can tell this entire thread boils down to Arthur wanting to be able to say things that he knows are unpleasant or rude now as if they weren't.

He CAN still say them. The freedom he wants isn't to speak, it's to be free of any consequence from his speech.

That's basically it at the end of the day!

Despite all the boo hooing and faux martyrdom, the 'new right', alt-right and far right have repeatedly failed to demonstrate is that anyone has stopped them saying what they want.

What they are really crying about is people calling them out for it.