Is free speech a thing of the past in England.

What has labour in the 1980's got to do with the reality today?

Oh dear, I believe you are now just acting daft for the sake of argument. My initial post that blackboard to whiteboard was done for racial implications was poo pood by several posters. I just reiterated that some Liebour council's did indeed act to change the name from blackboard to whiteboard for the racial implication. It's not too hard to understand is it. If our friends of a different colour can be upset by the term blackboard, surely as a Limey or Pom I can be offended by the term whiteboard. Yes/No.

Angel1

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

I think the biggest issue around this is the notice that is taken of 'social media uproar' of comments or actions. Often someone or a company is shredded on twitter by thousands of outraged, offended types. The millions of people who had no issues don't tweet anything.

The outraged then get their way by, silencing people thry don't like.

Oh dear, I believe you are now just acting daft for the sake of argument. My initial post that blackboard to whiteboard was done for racial implications was poo pood by several posters. I just reiterated that some Liebour council's did indeed act to change the name from blackboard to whiteboard for the racial implication. It's not too hard to understand is it. If our friends of a different colour can be upset by the term blackboard, surely as a Limey or Pom I can be offended by the term whiteboard. Yes/No.

Angel1

But how long did it last? Do you know for a stone cold fact (I'm talking facts here, not the imagination of a lefty councillor) that black people were offended by the term black board?

And are you offended by the term Pom or limey? Are you offended by the term white board? Is that too hard to understand?

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Angel1

Haha no, complete rubbish, back in the 80s the sun or daily mail may have printed an article saying so, it doesn't mean it's fact. Times move on technology meant in schools white boards took over blackboards. Black people prefer to be called black than coloured so why would the term black offend? We still see black sheep in the fields too. Why isn't black sheep beer banned? Because the banning of blackboards is a conspiracy nonsensical story cooked up by right wingers and closet racists

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Because the banning of blackboards is a conspiracy nonsensical story cooked up by right wingers and closet racists

It absolutely is!

It was the 80's version of the annual 'Asian shopkeepers refuse to have poppy tins in their shops' stories and 'immigrants get preferential treatment by council housing departments' that we have now. Believed by tens of thousands of people up and down the country without a shred of evidence.

One of my favourite stories was from a friend who worked for the GLC during Ken Livingstone's era. One of the tabloids ran a story that the GLC had banned the sale of black coffee from the canteen in County Hall on the grounds that it was racist. She told me of being told that it was definitely true by her gran because she had read it in the papers even though my friend drinks black coffee and had been doing so every day in the GLC canteen for many years.

Maybe ANGELFIRE should put a bit of time aside to do some research as I'm sure that he absolutely believes the 'banning blackboards' story.

Angel1

You're claiming that something that happened 40 years ago is relevant to your faux offence at calling a physically white board a whiteboard today. :roll:

You're claiming that something that happened 40 years ago is relevant to your faux offence at calling a physically white board a whiteboard today. :roll:

It does show however, that fake news isn't a new thing! :D

can i just correct you

"MAY" have happened 40 years ago

It does show however, that fake news isn't a new thing! :D

It also shows that once a lie is told it cannot be untold.

It also shows that once a lie is told it cannot be untold.

dont worry soon be christmas season...christmas will be banned......again

dont worry soon be christmas season...christmas will be banned......again

I've missed 'Christmas has been banned because it offends Muslims!'.

I guess it's been eclipsed by all the Brexit nonsense! :suspect:

I've missed 'Christmas has been banned because it offends Muslims!'.

I guess it's been eclipsed by all the Brexit nonsense! :suspect:

Christmas? Never heard of it. Those good-for-nothing pencil necks at the council have turned it into winterval- been that way for years!