Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I think people are ignoring the elephant in the room. We have huge levels of migration, 273,000 last year. We are not building anywhere near enough housing to meet demand.  We have no controls on ownership of second homes.  Of course the most vulnerable people are going to struggle to get housed.

55 minutes ago, Augustataurus said:

I think people are ignoring the elephant in the room. We have huge levels of migration, 273,000 last year. We are not building anywhere near enough housing to meet demand.  We have no controls on ownership of second homes.  Of course the most vulnerable people are going to struggle to get housed.

I agree up to a point, but as has been pointed out, there are actually lots of empty properties, but people just can't afford  the rents.

And a lot of homeless people have lost their homes because of this, sanctions, bedroom tax, counciltax, debt etc. Even 'affordable homes' have been proved to be anything but.  

18 hours ago, Longcol said:

A lot of the accommodation they are offered is shared. Many of them will have been abused - whether sexually, physically, financially - in similar situations. Hence not surprising some are reluctant to take the support offered. At one time SCC had a policy of getting rid of shared housing for vulnerable people (in fact that was national policy IIRC). Massive funding cuts have made that impossible.

Many of them are not capable - whether physically or mentally (or both) of "taking responsibility" in the way you or I may be able to.

Giving money can make an awful situation a shade more comfortable  for a lot of people - if only in some cases by "escaping" for a short while by using drugs or alcohol. Myself, I prefer to give people choices within their terms / understanding rather than prescribing a course of action for them.

A shade more comfortable?!!?! Never mind potentially causing their demise.  If someone isn’t capable of ‘taking responsibility’ for their situation, handing over cash for them to spend on spice or super strength booze on the grounds that it gives a little escapism is far more patronising and defeatist than say handing over food or a hot drink / giving to charity. Also - do you really want to fund grubby    drug dealers!!

Just as an aside, there used to be a very famous female beggar in Sheffield who isn’t around anymore. I often wonder what happened to her and I hope she is okay and has turned her life around and that’s why she’s not begging anymore. If anyone knows what happened to her I’d love to know. By PM if not allowed on thread. I hope this is vague enough to stay up.

2 hours ago, Augustataurus said:

Just as an aside, there used to be a very famous female beggar in Sheffield who isn’t around anymore. I often wonder what happened to her and I hope she is okay and has turned her life around and that’s why she’s not begging anymore. If anyone knows what happened to her I’d love to know. By PM if not allowed on thread. I hope this is vague enough to stay up.

How long ago?

If you mean Pond Street N***, around in the 70's, she must be long gone by now.

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, Augustataurus said:

If your on about Gemma the beggar. 

Right read this..........

The main problem with this whole homeless situation and this is a fact......many of these people on our streets are the product of the care system!!!!!

Back in the late 70's all children's homes rules changed where the children in the care of city council's homes were allowed to do what they wanted ie smoking,coming and going when they wanted,staying up at night till the early hours of the morning older adults coming to the homes without being challenged by anyone basically these children were allowed to run amok.

They have got so used to doing the wrong thing from an early age that it has become normal to them and to them doing anything different to what they are all ready doing would be alien to them in-short they are feral and this is not their fault because from an early age they have had no one to reign them in to tell them that their behaviour was wrong

Childrens homes before the late 70's were very strict on how children behaved there have been thousands of children passing through this care system before the late 70's and even though they still had their problems the children that left the care system were not living on the streets of our many towns and cities.

Children before the date mentioned were taught MORALS,LIFE SKILLS,MANNERS,HONOUR, and to RESPECT THEIR ELDERS.

(There have also been many children in care after the late 70's that have done very well for themselves and good on them but we should all think of the ones who haven't at the end of the day we are all human aren't we..............).

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

How long ago?

If you mean Pond Street N***, around in the 70's, she must be long gone by now.

Nora wasn't a beggar.

Edited by Jim Hardie

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Nora wasn't a beggar.

My apologies.

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree up to a point, but as has been pointed out, there are actually lots of empty properties, but people just can't afford  the rents.

And a lot of homeless people have lost their homes because of this, sanctions, bedroom tax, counciltax, debt etc. Even 'affordable homes' have been proved to be anything but.  

Plenty of rooms  in Buckingham Palace, Windsor castle, Sandringham and Balmoral.  :roll:

On 6/14/2017 at 10:48 AM, sgtkate said:

If this is actually true then our government has deployed troops against it's own population without even a whimper. This is insanely dangerous.

dangerous...  a matter of personal opinion..  dangerous for who?  terrorists?  good its about time there was some deterent ofr them

and before its mentioned no its not unconstitutional...  we don't have one...   we do have a lot of state control but thats another topic

love to see the look on some of those low life scum that sometimes assault the homeless for kicks when they threaten e member of the SAS  i'm thinking they will get more than kicks out of that misadventure

btw  in case people were not aware there are also female members of the special forces that may or may not be similarly employed so not wise being unpleasent to homless women  either.

600 dead homeless, up 60% in North of England in 5 years.

And Theresa May still thinks it's nothing to do with Austerity. . . .