Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

1 hour ago, woodmally said:

.......As for help with the bureaucracy there  is a lot of homeless charities out there that will help them with forms etc......

You've really got no idea of the realities. 

Another standard of the neoliberal system:  make the forms so convoluted and difficult that 'expert' help is required for a vulnerable person to fill them in (why not issue sane forms, that don't need expert assistance?).

Then make it impossible to even access that help for the forms, by requiring more convoluted forms to apply for the expert help itself :loopy:

There are professionals that go to The Archer Project and other organisations who spend their time helping the guys fill in their forms

1 hour ago, Black Brick said:

There are professionals that go to The Archer Project and other organisations who spend their time helping the guys fill in their forms

I'm sure there are.  But are there enough to go round? And filling in the form is only the start of it...

And are they there for the long haul and the run around, when applications go 'missing'  or  the right bits of paper 'haven't been included.' Or for the 1 hour 40 minutes it takes to get through on the telephone, to be passed from department to department, only to get cut off?  Or the disputes over the wording?  And for the contradicting  responses that make no sense, and defy logic? Or for the reconsiderations which require the collection of 'further evidence' from people who often have no means of aquiring or keeping paperwork or indeed able to see the professionals who can supply it? (Have you ever tried getting an appointment to see a mental health professional? Remember these forms are time sensitive. . .) 

Are they there for the medical assessments, miles away from home with no means of getting there?  Held by inexperienced, poorly qualified individuals, with no knowledge of your particular illness, and who can interpret what they see and hear on one particular day in any way they wish, and if in doubt, simply lie? 

Then there are the Appeals, which are in intimidating courts of Law, and practicallyrequire a law degree to understand the ramifications of a single word.  And on and on and on. . . . 

You have no idea. . . and this is all deliberate obfuscation designed to deter applicants and make them give up, which they often do.  As I said the process from start to finish can take upwards of 2 years, will they be there to see it through?

And you wonder why they 'don't accept the help that's offered to them,' and continue to beg.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/disability-benefits-suicide-doubled-disabled-theresa-may-conservative-tory-tories-govermment-scrap-a8131981.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/stitching-up-claimants-part-job-says-3537051

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-02-26/theresa-mays-head-of-policy-criticised-over-pip-comments/

Edited by Anna B

On 12/12/2018 at 5:56 PM, Cyclone said:

Call it a moral judgement...  What else might we call it?

And going back to the point, your moral judgement about how you think they'll spend their money results in your lack of compassion.

Seems Tent City is going back up in Park Hill. https://www.facebook.com/1804120759870367/posts/2245710602378045/

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I

God, In this weather?

Just looked at 'Sheffield Tent City' page on Facebook, thanks to Woodmally's link.

Lots of information on there. My heart's gladdened to see the way people are ralleying round to help homeless people and get them off the street in this bitterly cold whether, and help in whatever way they can.  

Edited by Anna B

23 hours ago, woodmally said:

I am not the one that says help is out there. Its the charities themselves that say we shouldn't give to beggars and homeless as it would prevent them engaging with services.  As for help with the bureaucracy there  is a lot of homeless charities out there that will help them with forms etc.    If all the charities are saying dont give money but help out and give money to charities and they are the experts with thes problems then I trust their view. 

There are differing opinions on this amongst the charitable sector, we had this discussion about 100 pages ago!

Unfortumately, I'm not sure I trust charities any more. The Archer project, Salvation Army etc do excellent work, but some  charities are no more than business opportunities, tax dodges and scams, or have chief executives on more than £100,000pa, (in which case  they can do without my money.) 

So much money goes in administration and costs, wouldn't it be a good idea for the various organisations doing the same thing to amalgamate into one organisation to reduce costs?

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Unfortumately, I'm not sure I trust charities any more. The Archer project, Salvation Army etc do excellent work, but some  charities are no more than business opportunities, tax dodges and scams, or have chief executives on more than £100,000pa, (in which case  they can do without my money.) 

So much money goes in administration and costs, wouldn't it be a good idea for the various organisations doing the same thing to amalgamate into one organisation to reduce costs?

Same here.   Seen several tv ads today all wanting "just" £15  or "only" £20 each month.   Can't help but wonder (1)  how much the ads cost and (2) how much CEOs etc pocket.   

1 hour ago, kaytie said:

Same here.   Seen several tv ads today all wanting "just" £15  or "only" £20 each month.   Can't help but wonder (1)  how much the ads cost and (2) how much CEOs etc pocket.   

Last year the "Charity" British heart foundation netted over 40 MILLION pounds...It's ceo is on £150k a year.....Go figure.

2 hours ago, FinBak said:

Last year the "Charity" British heart foundation netted over 40 MILLION pounds...It's ceo is on £150k a year.....Go figure.

As an aside I never saw the point of the British Heart Foundation anyway. Its mot like we don't understand heart desiese or how to prevent it. 

CEO of organisation that turns over £40 million is on a mere 150k but you think that's excessive?

How little do you think they can pay in order to find someone that has experience of managing a business that size?

Edited by Cyclone