Climbing At The Sky's Edge

Park_Hill_Scottish_Queen.jpg

Plans have been submitted to install a temporary climbing wall at Park Hill in Sheffield as part of the "Climbing at the Sky's Edge" event, which aims to celebrate the city's rich heritage in climbing. Urban Splash Park Hill Ltd has applied for planning permission from Sheffield City Council to add climbing holds and climber protection on the site.

The climbing route will be constructed using wooden structures attached to the exterior face of the lift shaft wall at Park Hill. Sheffield-based designers Percy Bishton and Rob Napier will create the route. Bishton, who designed climbing routes for the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2021 and the Red Bull Dual Ascent event at Switzerland's Verzasca dam in 2022, will be responsible for the climb's design. Rob Napier, an experienced route setter and climbing hold designer, will contribute his expertise as well. Napier's climbing holds are inspired by the distinctive Gritstone rock of the region.

The event is scheduled to take place from 9 to 15 September 2024, with installation starting a week earlier if approved. This temporary structure aims to showcase Sheffield's legacy in climbing while offering participants and spectators a unique experience.

Park Hill, one of Sheffield's most iconic landmarks, stands prominently above the railway station. Built in 1961, it was among the first Brutalist buildings in the UK and was granted Grade II*-listed status in 1998. The estate has also been featured in various documentaries and was the inspiration for the musical "Standing at the Sky's Edge."

Urban Splash acquired the site in 2004 and, in partnership with Places for People, has developed 455 new homes, accommodation for 356 students, over 50,000 square feet of workspace, and extensive green spaces for residents.

• Like 1

My late friend and business associate, the world renowned rock climber John Allen, who fell and died whilst climbing at Stoney Middleton would have been in favour of this. John found it amusing when I told him that I was so scared of heights that I was relieved when platform soled shoes went out of fashion.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

My late friend and business associate, the world renowned rock climber John Allen, who fell and died whilst climbing at Stoney Middleton would have been in favour of this. John found it amusing when I told him that I was so scared of heights that I was relieved when platform soled shoes went out of fashion.

I don't know much about climbing but John Allen was a Peak District legend, wasn't he?