Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

600 dead homeless, up 60% in North of England in 5 years.

And Theresa May still thinks it's nothing to do with Austerity. . . .

What is that supposed to tell us?

3m people die in the uk in any 5 year period.

They die at a predictable rate though.  It's easy to see periods of increased cold or heat because it causes spikes in the death rate (and subsequently a slight drop).

So changes in that death rate amongst a smaller population, IE up 60%, well, that's important don't you think.

482 rough sleepers deaths in 2013

600 in 2017

Increase of 24.5%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46613609

2,414 rough sleepers in 2013

4,751 in 2017

Increase of 96.8%

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/25/rough-sleeper-numbers-in-england-rise-for-seventh-year-running

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/rough-sleeping-in-england-autumn-2017

As a percentage of the numbers of rough sleepers, there are less dying on the streets than five years ago.

However, there shouldn't be anyone being forced to sleep on the street.

The figures should be zero.

Edited by the_bloke

Universal Credit is mostly behind the rise of homeless population around the country. People can't pay the rent the landlord gets fed up throws them out the council are struggling to cope. Some may choose to live on the streets but others don't they have mental health issues that making an claim for Universal Credit is hard going. Others have just left prison or the care system with no idea on what to do next so find themselves on the streets. The way over the top sanctions at Job centers can start the ball rolling to an life on the streets. 

The right wing papers love to make out the Welfare system was too generous in need of reform when in fact it was never been the case but nevertheless helped the government along with it's dismantling of the Welfare system in supposed public support of it. When Universal Credit is fully rolled out next year except to see many more people on the streets.

Just recently it was on the news that Charles Dickens ' Christmas Carol' is 145 years old. Charles Dickens wrote many books that had proverty in the background in his time that proverty is slowly come back that was familiar in his time.

Edited by AntiBrexit

I am no supporter of universal credit but the situation is NOT the same as in Dickens’ time: https://www.thestar.co.uk/our-towns-and-cities/sheffield/sheffield-city-centre-beggar-given-500-in-cash-by-passer-by-1-9500892

I think it is this very concept of the Dickensian beggar that is at the root of the misguided giving of spare change which is in turn financing addictions of vulnerable people. 

On 12/10/2018 at 2:33 PM, lazarus said:

Just why are beggars tolerated? most of them smoke, have a mobile so they are not that hard up, the immigrants that play accordians for money just why aren't they sent home to busk, one bloke just blows a recorder without any tune at all and usually near the Halifax on High Street an middle eastern woman holds her hand out while pretending to mouth words. She is not homeless she's picked up by car and driven away. It's the older people who are usually conned by beggars.

If you are playing some sort of tune (however badly, whether or not it is even recognisable) then you are busking not begging and the jobs worths in red (so called ambassadors ..that's a laugh in itself) don't move them on, which they would do if they were begging.  what one actually has to do to be classed as a beggar is none too clear.  

it is very likely these days that before any of the people became homeless they already had a mobile phone.  i have given homeless people old mobile phones and charged them up for them. and i know other people do that too.   you might not be aware of it but sheffield centre is full of points where you can access wifi using some of the apps that are available it can cost very little to use a mobile phone also you can text which is often part of the service deal.   if they spend a very little amount of the money they are given just to help them stay in touch with each other exchange information and help retain their sanity then i see nothing wrong with that.  it all rather depends onhow you use a mobile phone if you mostly use it to receive then the expense can be minimal. 

giff gaff Our £5 goodybag plan gives you 500 MB, 150 minutes and 500 texts each month.

i once sat down on fargate to talk to a homeless woman and was told by a nazi in red to move on when i asked why he said you can't sit there i pointed out that as far as i was aware the benches were for anyone to use and then asked him to stop bothering me or i would ask a police officer to deal with him.  i also asked him quite loudly if he got some kind of perverse kick out of bullying homeless women and some people started to stop and start watching...  he eventually went away when he noticed he had an audience.

yes the old woman you mention is a fake through cctv she will have been seen her getting in and out of cars.  she does not seem to get in to any trouble for this blatent scrounging i can't think why although it has been suggested to me that she does not get moved on or arrested because she id foreign..  i do not know if that is true....  i can quite believe it but it might not be accurate information.

it is not just older people that give money to the homeless i have seen school kids doing so on their way home and oter yoing people too.   of course some of the recipients were not genuine which does not diminish the generosity of the gift but please do tell us all how you accurately assess the authenticity of homeless people.   i have my methods just a few questions answered correctly is usually enough to satisfy me.

"ID'd as foreign".

Highly unlikely.  How would that information have even made it into the public domain?

Sounds like fake news or as it used to be called, a lie someone made up.

On 12/21/2018 at 10:48 PM, AntiBrexit said:

Universal Credit is mostly behind the rise of homeless population around the country. People can't pay the rent the landlord gets fed up throws them out the council are struggling to cope. Some may choose to live on the streets but others don't they have mental health issues that making an claim for Universal Credit is hard going. Others have just left prison or the care system with no idea on what to do next so find themselves on the streets. The way over the top sanctions at Job centers can start the ball rolling to an life on the streets. 

The right wing papers love to make out the Welfare system was too generous in need of reform when in fact it was never been the case but nevertheless helped the government along with it's dismantling of the Welfare system in supposed public support of it. When Universal Credit is fully rolled out next year except to see many more people on the streets.

Just recently it was on the news that Charles Dickens ' Christmas Carol' is 145 years old. Charles Dickens wrote many books that had proverty in the background in his time that proverty is slowly come back that was familiar in his time.

There are many things wrong with Universal Credit such as the amount of time it takes for people to get money etc and it may make the problem worse. However this thread started in 2016 before Universal Credit came to Sheffield. So many of the homeless being discussed here would not have been made homeless because of Universal Credit.    

On an aside note has anyone noticed how the spice problem seems to not be as bad. It could be just me but it does seem like the authorities have got a grip of it somewhat.  

On 12/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, the_bloke said:

482 rough sleepers deaths in 2013

600 in 2017

Increase of 24.5%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46613609

2,414 rough sleepers in 2013

4,751 in 2017

Increase of 96.8%

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/25/rough-sleeper-numbers-in-england-rise-for-seventh-year-running

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/rough-sleeping-in-england-autumn-2017

As a percentage of the numbers of rough sleepers, there are less dying on the streets than five years ago.

However, there shouldn't be anyone being forced to sleep on the street.

The figures should be zero.

Do we know that all the deaths are due to homelessness though. There was a guy in Sheffield who was nicknamed "Honda" who died. Many people online mentioned he had a home but for some reason chose to sleep rough, havent a clue why.

17 minutes ago, Stranza said:

Yet they dont help themselves.  Waitrose banned a legitimate big issue seller from their patch a while ago now.   I never had a problem with Andy and I think that Waitrose didnt like the idea of a big issue sellar outside their shop. So what replaces the Big Issue. Yep the usual spice adicts and beggars. 

On 12/23/2018 at 1:01 PM, woodmally said:

There are many things wrong with Universal Credit such as the amount of time it takes for people to get money etc and it may make the problem worse. However this thread started in 2016 before Universal Credit came to Sheffield. So many of the homeless being discussed here would not have been made homeless because of Universal Credit.    

On an aside note has anyone noticed how the spice problem seems to not be as bad. It could be just me but it does seem like the authorities have got a grip of it somewhat.  

Do we know that all the deaths are due to homelessness though. There was a guy in Sheffield who was nicknamed "Honda" who died. Many people online mentioned he had a home but for some reason chose to sleep rough, havent a clue why.

Universal Credit might not have been in place in 2016 but sanctions were,  and it is these that did a lot of the damage. That and Theresa May's 'hostile environment,' (like living on the streets isn't hostile enough...) 

Universal Credit arrived in Sheffield in December 2018. I expect homelessness will get worse, as it has in every area that has gone over to it.

Quote....

In the UK, yes, it is regarded as obscene language and to spout out a load of swearing in public is a breach of sec.5 of the Public Order Act 1986.

If you did it (it would have to be witnessed by a police officer or PCSO, we don’t take retrospective reports of it) you would get a statutory warning to basically tone down the language. If you carry on you will get arrested. It carries a fine if you don’t later get a caution for it.

The same goes for swearing written on signage, tee shirts, placards...unquote