Turning off routers

I always turn off my router at night. Lately I having been having a very slow connection. Should I leave my router on 24/7?

I always turn off my router at night. Lately I having been having a very slow connection. Should I leave my router on 24/7?

Leave it on.

If you turn it off the remote end will see the connections drop and will keep lowering the speed in an attempt to get it to work. Eventually you will be stuck on the lowest speed and have to tell the ISP to reprofile your link to get the speed back.

I turn mine off every night and I am still getting the same speed as I am paying for.

I always leave mine on because my next door neighbour shares my wireless connection, for a small contribution towards my bill. :bigsmile:

We leave ours on 24/7 the engineer told us that if its switched off for a prolonged period it could revert back to the old slow speed.

I've heard of stingy Yorkshiremen, but this beats that definition. Leave your router on, it will cost you half a penny a night. That is less than 2£ a year and it will ensure you keep a stable connection with your internet provider, the people you probably spend 20£+ per month on...

Switch my modem, router, telly, Sky box, lights off every night.

Switch my modem, router, telly, Sky box, lights off every night.

Not clever. The Sky box is not meant to be turned off at night, neither are routers.

Are people really that tight?

I find turning my router off every night has no impact on my speeds whatsoever. I tend to turn off everything I can at night, a certain amount of paranoia about leaving electrical devices running when I don't need to. Its not the cost, its a (perhaps misguided) safety thing.

I bet none of you turn your fridge or freezer off at night. Turning off the router is just as daft.

I bet none of you turn your fridge or freezer off at night. Turning off the router is just as daft.

What a daft statement.I turn my PC off purely for safety and have done for years.Do you leave your TV on all night?Another daft statement.

Edited by Kidorry

my router and main pc are on 24/7.