Turning off routers

lentenrose61

If you like seeing pretty lights then yes.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 08:12 ----------

Just becasue you find in incredible doesnt mean it's not true.

At switchone time a modern switchmode PSU places what is in effect a short circuit across the mains as the input capacitors are charged. This results in very high currents which only occur at switch on. Switchmode PSU's designed for high reliability environments are usually never turned off, or if they are as few times as possible.

---------- Post added 29-03-2015 at 08:14 ----------

He may well be correct in his opinion, but his also correct in fact.

No, because it has been said there is a small risk,so there is still the possibility of fire.

No, because it has been said there is a small risk,so there is still the possibility of fire.

If you are worried about fire, then you shouldn't be switching a power supply on and off. That increases the possibility of fire.

A far better option is to make sure that there is adequate facilities for alerting people if there is a fire. Like smokde detectors, and a couople of fire extinguishers.

Or go and live in a cave. They dont burn very well. Cold in winter though.

If you are worried about fire, then you shouldn't be switching a power supply on and off. That increases the possibility of fire.

A far better option is to make sure that there is adequate facilities for alerting people if there is a fire. Like smokde detectors, and a couople of fire extinguishers.

Or go and live in a cave. They dont burn very well. Cold in winter though.

I credited you with more sense than the last load of rubbish you have just written.By the way you spell I think you still live in a cave.End of.

I have switched my router off every night for years it has not failed I have not lost any broadband speed my house has not burned to the ground, proof is in the pudding.

Incidentally whenever I have had a broadband problem one of the first things my provider usually ask me to do is switch/power the router off.

I have switched my router off every night for years it has not failed I have not lost any broadband speed my house has not burned to the ground, proof is in the pudding.

I haven't switched my router off in almost 10 years. My broadband speed hasn't suffered, nor has my house burned down. What does that prove?

I haven't switched my router off in almost 10 years. My broadband speed hasn't suffered, nor has my house burned down. What does that prove?

That this thread is totally pointless and no matter what the experts say it doesn't make a bit of difference whether you do or don't turn you router off at night.

Routers are meant and designed to be on 24/7

Any telecommunications expert will tell you that.

I know that, and you know that. But you try convincing some people and no matter how hard you try, it's just impossible to get them to listen. As I said, the only time in 10 years my router has been turned off was when virgin insisted I upgraded to a superhub. No speed issues and no fires. But what do we know?

I know that, and you know that. But you try convincing some people and no matter how hard you try, it's just impossible to get them to listen. As I said, the only time in 10 years my router has been turned off was when virgin insisted I upgraded to a superhub. No speed issues and no fires. But what do we know?

True true.

When a routers been turned off, switching it back will cause both it and the ISP to start the setup procedure again. Yes it'll work, but not at full capacity. Depending on the ISP this can take between 24 and 72 hours.

Mine's been running for 5 years. I have a webserver that's been online (short of power cuts) for 10-15 years, a files server that's served me none stop for 10+ and 2 APC UPS's that've been chugging away for well over 15yrs (though the cells are probably long dead by now, but still no hazard).

That this thread is totally pointless

The post by the OP was an honest question but as usual on this forum nearly every thread ends up a slanging match by the usual posters who can't bare not to be involved. :loopy:

A relative had the PSU of their Sky router on a timer to save electricity at night.

Within 2 years it had failed and needed a replacement from Amazon that probably cost more than the electricity saved.

Routers are designed to stay on 24/7.

If they're turned off and on several times in an hour the ISP's Digital Line Management may detect it as a fault and lower the speed accordingly, then again it may not.

If people want to turn their kit off at night then do so. It's certainly not worth more than 1 page of responses. :roll: