Turning off routers

Post removed

Edited by allysum

What a daft statement.I turn my PC off purely for safety and have done for years.Do you leave your TV on all night?Another daft statement.

Is your PC more dangerous than your fridge?

Post removed

Edited by allysum

Yes it is.

Why?...................

Yes it is.

Nope. Not by a long shot.

Post removed

Edited by allysum

Is your PC more dangerous than your fridge?

My PC AND my fridge are more dangerous than just my fridge.

Can you quantify that danger? Is it worth the effort of turning things off?

---------- Post added 25-03-2015 at 12:54 ----------

The power supply on my refrigerator is in a sealed in double insulated unit and burned out last August. When I replaced it there were small scorch marks against the housing but nothing serious.

I had a PC base unit in my living room TV cabinet with plenty of ventilation around it and about 12cm between the back of the casing and the back of the TV unit. Power supply went pop and the resulting sparks that jumped out set fire to either the TV unit or a an envelope on the shelf underneath. I heard it pop and saw the flash. By the time I'd turned off the mains adapter and grabbed a torch to check down the black there was a nice pool of melting plastic, cable PVC and 3 inch flames.

I'm sure these forums are just heading the way of people feeling the need to out-do each other or rubbish other peoples comments without having any real basis to what they are saying. I seem to be spending more time defending advice I've freely given than actually giving the advice too.... surely my own fault but I'll stop doing now.

Ah, deploy the old anecdote. It happened once, therefore it's proof.

The power supply on my refrigerator is in a sealed in double insulated unit and burned out last August. When I replaced it there were small scorch marks against the housing but nothing serious.

I had a PC base unit in my living room TV cabinet with plenty of ventilation around it and about 12cm between the back of the casing and the back of the TV unit. Power supply went pop and the resulting sparks that jumped out set fire to either the TV unit or a an envelope on the shelf underneath. I heard it pop and saw the flash. By the time I'd turned off the mains adapter and grabbed a torch to check down the black there was a nice pool of melting plastic, cable PVC and 3 inch flames.

I'm sure these forums are just heading the way of people feeling the need to out-do each other or rubbish other peoples comments without having any real basis to what they are saying. I seem to be spending more time defending advice I've freely given than actually giving the advice too.... surely my own fault but I'll stop doing now.

Thank you for that input and I will do the same as you.

You must be a really unlucky person..I've had fridge freezers for over35 years and pc's for about 20 never had either of them start any fires. I've also worked in IT for the best part of 40 years and although I've seen my fair share of psu's go "pop" I've never known one to start a fire as you described.. and that includes really big 3 ph ones...

Edited by truman

I leave my router and repeaters on, and my NAS, and the Virgin V+ box.

I shall let the forum know should my house ever burn down due to any of these items.

Post removed

Edited by allysum