Turning off routers

lentenrose61

I try to leave mine on, but often as I switch the tablet on and try to connect, it doesn't get a connection till I switch the router off and on again. Sometimes my connection just "hangs" as I'm working and again, I have to reboot my router.

The original talktalk router I first got was far better than the one I have bought to replace it.

But I'm not a big internet user, so don't lose too much sleep over the situation

Why is this even still a discussion?

When experts in telecommunications and someone who actually WORKS at an ISP dealing with router returns, has identified power cycling as an issue with routers failing?

Plus I have said myself that it can be an issue with WiFi when auto keeps switching the channel. I'm sick of having to keep manually changing mine because of a neighbour rebooting their router and causing it to conflict with mine causing slowdown.

Bottom line, its more hassle than its worth for you and your neighbours UNLESS you are planning to be away from home for several days.

I have only ever had one router die on me, a Netgear DG834GT within its 2 year warranty - its replacement lasted 8 years, and that was over 10 years ago and I never had Wireless set to Auto - I always have it set to one channel. ;) I still have the DG834GT - just needed an upgrade which is better spec (2 USB ports and 2.4 and 5 GHz channels.)

Edited by swarfendor43