Should Police should crack down on Drunk and Disorderly?

Bitter? Misguided more like.

Since when did Police Officers issue parking fines?

The police do arrest for drunk and disorderly. Anyone caught in the act creating a disturbance, being threatening or violent, causing damage, causing a hazard will be dealt with. I don't know the stats but I suspect that the charge offices will have a fair few van loads to deal with every weekend.

However, what are you supposed to do with the rest. Thousands and thousands of people out and about getting merry. You cant arrest them all. Where does it become a point intervention and arrest.

There is no specific guidelines to what constitutes "D&D" and with limited policing vs thousands of revellers someone has to prioritise accordingly.

Do you arrest the bunch of lasses being mouthy going weeble wobble down the road? Do you arrest the guy holding his kebab being sick down the edge of a building? Do you arrest the lads shouting dirty jokes to each other whilst waiting in the taxi queue? Do you arrest the newly mets having a fumble with each other in the shop doorway? Do you arrest the married couple having a barney with each other whilst in the burger bar?

Likely sights each and every night in multiple occasions. All likely situations to be classed as D&D.

Blimey, the cells would be full to bursting.

I think anyone attending A&E because of Saturday night binge drinking should be given a '3 strikes and you're out' type record. After that, or maybe even after the second occasion they should be made to pay the full cost of their treatment.

As for the generally bad behaviour, it's a pity they don't have more self respect. Personally I'd film them when they're drunk and being obnoxious then show it them wjen they're sober.

I don't remember drunks being such a problem when the pubs closed early. People seemed to have a few beers and stroll home maybe a little bit merry.

I don't think drinking spirits was so popular in those days - maybe they were too expensive.

When the pubs all kicked out at 11pm, town became a large riot zone on a Friday and Saturday night.

When the pubs all kicked out at 11pm, town became a large riot zone on a Friday and Saturday night.

Not as I remember.

The policing of drink related behaviour was much stricter.

---------- Post added 30-12-2014 at 13:11 ----------

I don't remember drunks being such a problem when the pubs closed early. People seemed to have a few beers and stroll home maybe a little bit merry.

I don't think drinking spirits was so popular in those days - maybe they were too expensive.

I recall that if there were several people in a round and one(usually older) wanted a short they would offer to pay the difiference in price between a pint and a short.

Edited by harvey19

Relaxed opening hours did take away the peak in the calls/arrests which formally occurred at about 11.20pm.

Less Police = Less arrests = worse behaviour because the chances of being made to account for your bad behaviour is more remote.

The medico broke ranks in criticising another service because his service is under pressure. The health service has a duty and a budget to generally promote healthy behaviour whether it be encouraging breast feeding or their involvement in the Best-Bar-None initiative.

Its a social problem which at the moment is tolerated. Like smoking in public places and drunken driving used to be.

Being drunk in France and Italy is frowned upon. They probably have 1,000 more years of alcohol experience than us.

I hope that being drunk becomes uncool here to.

I think anyone attending A&E because of Saturday night binge drinking should be given a '3 strikes and you're out' type record. After that, or maybe even after the second occasion they should be made to pay the full cost of their treatment.

As for the generally bad behaviour, it's a pity they don't have more self respect. Personally I'd film them when they're drunk and being obnoxious then show it them wjen they're sober.

They have already paid a huge amount of duty on their alcoholic purchases, the 2nd highest in the EU. Does this not cover the cost of treatment collectively?

What about if you are doing a different leisure activity, such as playing football, should you be forced to pay for treatment. Remember, that the footballer hasn't paid any tax on his leisure activity.

I never had you down as someone who wants to stop the NHS being free at the point of use. I am shocked.