The Labour Party. All discussion here please

Vaati

This is the final warning we are going to give about bickering, name calling etc. If a post breaks the forum rules, report it. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I have heard what he has to say. It is pretty much the same as the Tories, only they are picking and choosing slightly different things.

Labour now want to leave the customs union (so do the Tories) and negotiate a 'new comprehensive customs union' with the EU. This effectively is what the Tories want too.

Theresa May wants a 'customs arrangement' that would allow us to make our own international trade deals.

Corbyn wants a 'new customs union' that would give us a say in any new EU led trade deals with 'third' countries.

I imagine the EU would just say no to both.

Those 'slightly different things' could make all the difference.

Those 'slightly different things' could make all the difference.

Could they? The EU have categorically ruled out the cherry picking approach.

What makes you think they'll say yes to Corbyn cherry picking but no to Theresa May? Corbyn has already said he wouldn't leave without a deal, so the EU have no incentive to offer him anything they don't want to.

I was sure the Referendum ballot paper said, In or Out, period.

Not a bit in, or a bit out as many try to say. After spending £9 million on a brochure telling us this is an in/out issue, there are still those who would re-run the ballot given half a chance.

As for the MP's like Anna Soubry for instance who obviously want to Remain, but who's constituary voted to Leave, I would have her de-selected at the first opportunity.

Maybe Mrs May should grow a pair and get a grip of the situation, never mind bending over backwards to appease the EU negotiators.

Angel1.

Could they? The EU have categorically ruled out the cherry picking approach.

What makes you think they'll say yes to Corbyn cherry picking but no to Theresa May? Corbyn has already said he wouldn't leave without a deal, so the EU have no incentive to offer him anything they don't want to.

That's where the art of negotiation comes in.

I always get the impression that Mrs May and Co keep rubbing the EU negotiators up the wrong way. A bit 'Bull in a China shop' in approach.

I think Corbyn might be a bit cleverer and more subtle. And ultimately get more of his own way. Just my opinion.

I always get the impression that Mrs May and Co keep rubbing the EU negotiators up the wrong way. A bit 'Bull in a China shop' in approach.

I think Corbyn might be a bit cleverer and more subtle. And ultimately get more of his own way. Just my opinion.

Genuine question Anna.what high level international negotiations has Mr Corbyn participated in and been successful?

I think the reason that May and co. might seem to be rubbing up the negotiators the wrong way is because they are proposing things that the EU don't want to concede to.

That however is how negotiation works.

Genuine question Anna.what high level international negotiations has Mr Corbyn participated in and been successful?

Considering he saw losing a general election a success, Corbyn can make a success out of anything.

Any update on a few examples of Jeremy's negotiations?

Considering he saw losing a general election a success, Corbyn can make a success out of anything.

Going from an electoral wipe-out to hung parliament is a success.

Or do you think Theresa May woke up the morning after the election thinking:

"Well, that went really well, I definitely made the right decision calling a general election. Thank goodness it went so well!"

?

Of course you did. Of course you did.

Corbyn ha been anti EU all his career, until now. He's playing politics. Labour's position now completely contradicts their position of just a few months ago.

It's Fantasy Island stuff.

Apparently we get all the choice we want as to what sort of Brexit we get. We can choose any type of Brexit as easy as buying a bar of chocolate.

Reality check - we can't.

We get what the EU gives us.

Do they want to let us leave and then give us "frictionless trade" in a "new, improved customs union"?

Give us the economic benefits of EU membership with none of the bad bits?

Because this is what Labour and the Tories are punting now - fantasy.

Going from an electoral wipe-out to hung parliament is a success.

Only if that's what he wanted to achieve. If he wanted to win the election, it's not a success is it.

At what do the Corbyn acolytes realise that they are being lied to that such things are possible? It's not even a very good lie.