Should teachers go on strike?

Teachers still work during their holidays you know, it's not like they go and sit on a beach for 6 weeks straight.

Hey my ex is a teacher. Believe me the summer holidays were just that! (Holidays)

A bit of work at the latter end of the summer holidays,the rest was relaxation.

I believe everyone has the right to fight any changes to contracts etc: But we all have to prepare and accept things can change.

Oh! Anyone care to google how many teachers have been sacked over the last 10 years.For not being up to the job?

And maybe when they work a full year instead of having more holidays than Alan Wicker they may deserve a pay rise.

:hihi: More holidays than alan wicker. I like that one :hihi:

:hihi: More holidays than alan wicker. I like that one :hihi:

Alan Whicker liked it too.

As did his English teacher:rolleyes:

im sorry but teachers never had it so easy, teaching assistants ect ect, when i was at school 30 years ago there was no such thing, so teachers moaning about performance pay, tough, thats just as it should be, get rid of the crap ones that destroy kids education and the rest of their lives

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

You have not got a clue. I began teaching 30 years ago and it is a far more difficult job now than it was back then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

im sorry but teachers never had it so easy, teaching assistants ect ect, when i was at school 30 years ago there was no such thing, so teachers moaning about performance pay, tough, thats just as it should be, get rid of the crap ones that destroy kids education and the rest of their lives

You have not got a clue. I began teaching 30 years ago and it is a far more difficult job now than it was back then.

how many teaching assistants did you have 30 years ago?, and how many now?, class sizes 30 years ago, and class sizes now?

I don't think anyone can really appreciate the job someone does until they spend a week in their shoes and can offer first hand experience of it.

Alan Whicker liked it too.

As did his English teacher:rolleyes:

I never saw his English teacher on any of the programs

Was he one of the ones holding the camera?

how many teaching assistants did you have 30 years ago?, and how many now?, class sizes 30 years ago, and class sizes now?

Teaching assistants were not required 30 years ago as a significant number of the students which they are required to support used to go to special schools then which have since been closed. In other words the pupils who need more support than others were not even in the mainstream schools never mind the classrooms.

As for the teacher pupil ratio over the last 30 years I personally have not noticed a difference as throughout that period there have always been large groups and much smaller ones; when I was a student myself the more academic groups had 30 or more and the weaker ones tended to be fewer than 20.

Still on the subject of pupil numbers a small group now is much more difficult to teach than a large group was back then. 30 years ago in a lot of lessons the students received some instructions and were asked a few questions and then were expected to get on with there work with little or no further input from their teachers. Also almost every aspect of the job was easier - I will pick just 1 of many.

In mathematics marking a pupils book used to take seconds as a few ticks and crosses, the odd correction followed by a mark out of 10 and a simple comment such as good or well done was regarded as outstanding but now it would be unsatisfactory. Nowadays corrections need to be accompanied by examples and suggestions on how to improve and even if a students work is perfect extension work has to be provided along with ideas for further study. There was no pressure on teachers 30 years ago with respect to the pupils performance, in those days if a pupil failed to achieve their potential it was the pupils fault only - not any more. (Oh I do believe that poor teachers should be given further training and opportunity to improve and then be dismissed if this does not happen).

Apparently according to the people who make the judgements I am an outstanding teacher although I do not regard myself as such. However the standards required of teachers have come on so much that if the teachers of 30 years ago (myself included at the time) were judged by todays standards virtually all would be regarded as unsatisfactory.

You can make other judgements such as teachers have a lot of holidays without considering the extra hours that they put in but don't try to tell me that whilst I have been in the profession it has become easier because from experience I know that the opposite is true.

Just for your information I am only ascertaining the fact that teaching has become more difficult not my opinion on whether or not teachers should strike.

Edited by Joe-b-1
typo error

Marlcliffe has approx 11 classes off. With that in mind we've just had an email asking us to help with the "Autumn Fund Raising" maybe if we weren't having to lose wages next week to look after children affected by their strike action we would.Also while I'm ranting about that, will the teachers be fined £60 per child for taking them out of school during term time??

I'm a teacher and I'm striking. I'm uneasy about doing so because I know that many people will see it as a negative thing. I also feel bad for the students that will miss lessons, and the effect on their families if they have to take time off work.

Taking all these things into account, I'm striking because I believe that the current government is not motivated by the best interests of all of our children ( I have two secondary school age kids who will be at home tomorrow)

Since I became a teacher about nine years ago, the quality of our kid's education had been steadily eroding - not due to the standards of teacher's, but due to waves of idiotic legislation. My feeling is that they want our kids fit only to fit their proscribed ecanomic pigeon-holes. The breadth and richnes of kids educational experience is being chipped away at by a bunch of number-crunching elitist privately educated bigots.

The scary thing about the responses in this forum is how many working people are quick to express negative views. We know our politicians are liars (20% of us trust them) yet we have been trained as a population not to act, to be politically passive.

I worked in various jobs before teaching and teaching is the toughest. I also care more (in a real day to day way) about most of the kid's learning than their parents can be bothered to. How many hours did you spend supporting your kid's homework last week? Someone else's job?

The holidays are great, pay is good, job is hard work. Why are we terrible for fighting for our working conditions? We have the advantage of being a big group who are articulate and informed. Our fight is against the idiots in charge and not the parents. They want you to dissaprove - so they can steal all of our wages and holidays. Our fight is your fight.

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 18:20 ----------

sorry, I spelled economic incorrectly. oops.

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 18:21 ----------

and I put an apostrophie in the wrong place.

I'm a teacher and I'm striking. I'm uneasy about doing so because I know that many people will see it as a negative thing. I also feel bad for the students that will miss lessons, and the effect on their families if they have to take time off work.

Taking all these things into account, I'm striking because I believe that the current government is not motivated by the best interests of all of our children ( I have two secondary school age kids who will be at home tomorrow)

Since I became a teacher about nine years ago, the quality of our kid's education had been steadily eroding - not due to the standards of teacher's, but due to waves of idiotic legislation. My feeling is that they want our kids fit only to fit their proscribed ecanomic pigeon-holes. The breadth and richnes of kids educational experience is being chipped away at by a bunch of number-crunching elitist privately educated bigots.

The scary thing about the responses in this forum is how many working people are quick to express negative views. We know our politicians are liars (20% of us trust them) yet we have been trained as a population not to act, to be politically passive.

I worked in various jobs before teaching and teaching is the toughest. I also care more (in a real day to day way) about most of the kid's learning than their parents can be bothered to. How many hours did you spend supporting your kid's homework last week? Someone else's job?

The holidays are great, pay is good, job is hard work. Why are we terrible for fighting for our working conditions? We have the advantage of being a big group who are articulate and informed. Our fight is against the idiots in charge and not the parents. They want you to dissaprove - so they can steal all of our wages and holidays. Our fight is your fight.

You spelled apostrophe incorrectly. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I wholeheartedly agree with the content of your post though.

If it makes any odds I agree with all your post 100%, I wish you all the best in this fight against such an unjust uncaring government.