Should teachers go on strike?

I think it's about time people realised the debt of gratitude they owe to teachers instead of griping about them constantly.

Why do you think everyone owes them a debt of gratitude, they do a job which they get paid to do, and if they don't like the job they could always find something else to do. Its no more important than the many thousands of other jobs being done by people getting paid.

I take it you also undertake unpaid overtime .

As it's been said many times on here ,and unless you know 100% how the education system works in our schools and the amount of work that goes into teaching your children , then you would'nt be so eager to slate the teaching profession .But if you think it's that cushy, why not take up teaching.

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 21:26 ----------

But it doesn’t matter to them ,as there not the one's being screwed.

They would soon get upset if their wages were to be cut.

OR dole money .

A lot of people work unpaid overtime. A lot are putting up with/fighting changes in their conditions. Many in the none to distant past have been made redundent - something the teaching profession rarely have to put up with. You're hard done by - we get it.

Trying to cast aspersions/trying to belittle someone by suggesting they are unemployed (who lets face it are getting a kicking from the press/government daily - you might have read about it) isn't going to gain you much support.

I take it you also undertake unpaid overtime .

As it's been said many times on here ,and unless you know 100% how the education system works in our schools and the amount of work that goes into teaching your children , then you would'nt be so eager to slate the teaching profession .But if you think it's that cushy, why not take up teaching.

Reversing that, if they think they are under paid and over worked they could try finding as easier job with better pay.

Reversing that, if they think they are under paid and over worked they could try finding as easier job with better pay.

But most teachers are passionate about the subject they teach, and have an ability and desire to communicate it to others. It's a vocation.

About 6 years ago when I was considering teaching there was a shortage of teachers in the subject that I'm qualified in and an attractive bursary to tempt people like me in the profession. I understand the same situation still applies.....

All I want to know is just how many of these teachers will be marching in town tomorrow and how many will be sat at home tossing it off. I'm all for people getting better benefits but do it on there own time and not ours as all you working parents know it costs money for child care when you work full time so who pays for mine and your kids tomorrow maybe we should form a union against the government to claim our money back. just like this **** poor government wants our money if we take our kids out of school mid term.

It seems to me more about who is going to babysit their children, rather than the important issues that matter to the majority of people.

It seems to me more about who is going to babysit their children, rather than the important issues that matter to the majority of people.

Proberbly the Firemen, if they come out in sympathy.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why ignore the rant about 6 weeks holidays, who else gets 6 weeks holidays paid, plus all the half term weeks,i dont and many others like me

Teachers are not paid for the holidays they are salaried which means that the pay they receive for the weeks they do work is paid in twelve monthly instalments.

Teachers are not paid for the holidays they are salaried which means that the pay they receive for the weeks they do work is paid in twelve monthly instalments.

Still 1,800 a month (based on starting salary)

What every parent now needs to do is send in invoices, detailing a fine and the cost of child-care for every day the school's strike.

Play them at their own game. If you took your child out of school in term time, they'd now fine you for it. Now they're effectively taking your child out of school during term time.

Play them at their own game. If you took your child out of school in term time, they'd now fine you for it. Now they're effectively taking your child out of school during term time.

Teachers do not fine you for it.

I'm only surprised there haven't been more strikes, especially when you see the negative effect some of the measures have had on the kids in the classroom.

A quick list of occupations that get paid more than teachers, from ONS figures - Train drivers £42,527, Coal mine operatives £41,140, Chartered surveyors £34,757, Social services managers £35,896. Good luck to the teachers, could you do their job?

But most teachers are passionate about the subject they teach, and have an ability and desire to communicate it to others. It's a vocation.

About 6 years ago when I was considering teaching there was a shortage of teachers in the subject that I'm qualified in and an attractive bursary to tempt people like me in the profession. I understand the same situation still applies.....

I don't disagree, but there are also teachers that aren't passionate about what they teach and just do teach because the pay and conditions are better than they could get elsewhere.

I did thanks, wouldn't go back into the profession now for all the tea in China.