Should teachers go on strike?

I think it's about time people realised the debt of gratitude they owe to teachers instead of griping about them constantly.

If teachers volunteer this is applicable,but they do receive reasonable payment. Society should show greater respect for the majority of service workers,especially those who do jobs we would rather leave to others e.g .cleaning toilets. working in psychiatric services etc.

If teachers volunteer this is applicable,but they do receive reasonable payment. Society should show greater respect for the majority of service workers,especially those who do jobs we would rather leave to others e.g .cleaning toilets. working in psychiatric services etc.[/QUOTE]

This is true, I would add care workers to this, the majority work hard for little pay.

If teachers volunteer this is applicable,but they do receive reasonable payment. Society should show greater respect for the majority of service workers,especially those who do jobs we would rather leave to others e.g .cleaning toilets. working in psychiatric services etc.[/QUOTE]

This is true, I would add care workers to this, the majority work hard for little pay.

Definitely,as many clean toilets and botties.

The reason they strike in term time is for maximum disruption so the parents of Tarquin and Chardonnay lean on the government to do something. Doing it in the holidays is like terrorists blowing up an empty field.

That would be like the miners going on strike in the spring/summer. Oh wait a minute!!

All I want to know is just how many of these teachers will be marching in town tomorrow and how many will be sat at home tossing it off. I'm all for people getting better benefits but do it on there own time and not ours as all you working parents know it costs money for child care when you work full time so who pays for mine and your kids tomorrow maybe we should form a union against the government to claim our money back. just like this **** poor government wants our money if we take our kids out of school mid term.

All I want to know is just how many of these teachers will be marching in town tomorrow and how many will be sat at home tossing it off. I'm all for people getting better benefits but do it on there own time and not ours as all you working parents know it costs money for child care when you work full time so who pays for mine and your kids tomorrow maybe we should form a union against the government to claim our money back. just like this **** poor government wants our money if we take our kids out of school mid term.

Why is this important to you?You should not assume that all non-marching teachers are misusing their time-many will be marking homework and planning lessons.

Mod Note:

Threads merged, please use the search function before creating a new thread or browse through the pre-populated drop down thread suggestions. Do not make duplicate threads.

Thank you.

Get a job knowing full well the pay, benefits, holidays etc then moan, bleat and strike because you don't like the pay, benefits and holidays etc. Can't think of anything that winds me up more.

same as the firemen then...;)

Why is this important to you?You should not assume that all non-marching teachers are misusing their time-many will be marking homework and planning lessons.

In fairness, that's what happened time. Small protests and big numbers at shopping centres.

All I want to know is just how many of these teachers will be marching in town tomorrow and how many will be sat at home tossing it off. .

I don't think you can call it "tossing it off" if they're not being paid, do you? And yes, they may well be catching up with some prep or marking (unpaid).

Get a grip. Or a career as a teacher if you think it's such a cushy number.

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 21:11 ----------

Originally Posted by Pinnacle PAT

Get a job knowing full well the pay, benefits, holidays etc then moan, bleat and strike because you don't like the pay, benefits and holidays etc

That's not why they're striking though is it?

Edited by The Teacher

Why ignore the rant about 6 weeks holidays, who else gets 6 weeks holidays paid, plus all the half term weeks,i dont and many others like me

I take it you also undertake unpaid overtime .

As it's been said many times on here ,and unless you know 100% how the education system works in our schools and the amount of work that goes into teaching your children , then you would'nt be so eager to slate the teaching profession .But if you think it's that cushy, why not take up teaching.

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 21:26 ----------

Picture the scenario: you are working at your job, which you've held for several years, when you receive notification that the Government plans to shrink your pension scheme, put back retirement age, and reduce your capacity to earn more in future. Do you do nothing, or fight to protect what you have? Only a fool would consider the former, yet teachers are berated for doing what anyone else would in the same situation.

But it doesn’t matter to them ,as there not the one's being screwed.

They would soon get upset if their wages were to be cut.

OR dole money .