Should teachers go on strike?

Look, just read the other thread. It's all been done in that one.

Who's interest does your agression towards teachers serve? If teachers' pay and conditions are weakened will it improve yours? We are expected (rightly) to constantly improve the standard of what we do, and yet we must also work for less. Are we paid too much? By what measure? Should the people who spend all day with your kids be cheap? That benefits you how? That benefits your kids how?

Your aggression towards teachers serves only the interests of those who would reduce all of our pay and conditions. That 'public sector workers don't know how good they've got it' mentality is pointless. Who is better off if we're all in the ****? You? Me?

---------- Post added 30-09-2013 at 20:05 ----------

A quick bit of myth busting. We are on performance related pay. It is possible to shift bad teachers, I just got one out, because I hate the entitlement culture too.

There would be no point in the teachers striking during the holidays.

Unfortunately the only way to get people to take notice is for teachers to strike during their working hours. This causes disruption to parents but it's the only way to get their point across.

Would you go on strike outside your normal working hours, or during your holidays?

It is tragic that this salient observation has to be emphasised-some people need to return to school and swot up on common sense-after the strike of course.

Ok point taken about 6 weeks holidays cause as much disruption as possible to get what u want,cant blame you,so what the hell are teacher training days for which they seam to be more and more of each term

Ok point taken about 6 weeks holidays cause as much disruption as possible to get what u want,cant blame you,so what the hell are teacher training days for which they seam to be more and more of each term

You need to ask Michael Gove.Do you think teachers enjoy these florid occasions?

Why ignore the rant about 6 weeks holidays, who else gets 6 weeks holidays paid, plus all the half term weeks,i dont and many others like me

Full time workers get at least 4 weeks of paid holidays, which you can take whenever you want, you aren't stuck to a certain timetable every year when foreign holidays are more expensive.

Why not train as a teacher then, if you would prefer their holiday schedule? They do also have a lot of work to do outside the school hours though.

There are 5 inset/Baker days per school year. Its been the same every year since they were introduced in 1988.

You have not got a clue. I began teaching 30 years ago and it is a far more difficult job now than it was back then.

Couldn't agree more.

20 years here, and nearly every year since the National Curriculum has brought a new load of government dictats and with it a new raft of changes. The workloads and the stresses have been enormous and most certainly not in the interests of the child.

I'm only surprised there haven't been more strikes, especially when you see the negative effect some of the measures have had on the kids in the classroom.

Couldn't agree more.

20 years here, and nearly every year since the National Curriculum has brought a new load of government dictats and with it a new raft of changes. The workloads and the stresses have been enormous and most certainly not in the interests of the child.

I'm only surprised there haven't been more strikes, especially when you see the negative effect some of the measures have had on the kids in the classroom.

They can't strike massively under a labour government can they? That wouldn't be cricket.

Full time workers get at least 4 weeks of paid holidays, which you can take whenever you want, you aren't stuck to a certain timetable every year when foreign holidays are more expensive.

Why not train as a teacher then, if you would prefer their holiday schedule? They do also have a lot of work to do outside the school hours though.

Think you'll find you can't take holidays when ever you like at a lot of businesses. And if you have kids, you can't take them out of school anyway. But the other point is valid, if people think being a teacher is easy, train to be one.

I think it's about time people realised the debt of gratitude they owe to teachers instead of griping about them constantly.

I think it's about time people realised the debt of gratitude they owe to teachers instead of griping about them constantly.

Why stop at teachers? Anna, I don't know what you do but you do a great job, so thankyou. :)