Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Thing that gets me is that someone will have been paid to produce and deliver the leaflet that told us about the extra blue bin collection yesterday in our area (S6). But what's the point in delivering a leaflet in the late afternoon that tells you to put your bin out by 7am that morning? What a waste. Oh the irony!

How true as well as the bloke who delivered our leaflet came around on Saturday! Bet he wasnt paid normal time to deliver the leaflets.

People will be more careful about what they waste,recycle etc.

Few months time and everyone will have forgot and there'll be less waste.

Or more likely to be massive amounts of fly tipping thanks to Jack Scott and his cronies at the council cutting the opening hours at the dump it sites whilst cutting the bin collections by 50%.

if you cut the bin collections and also limit the opportunity s people have to dispose of all the rubbish the council wont collect on a weekly basis , what do you think is going to happen to all that rubbish ?........... Yep , it will be tipped down country lanes and in hedgerows.

Hunters Bar got leaflets today [su] for a blue-bin collection tomorrow [M].

So not very good timing, SCC.

Same here in S17. Clearly several neighbours went on holiday yesterday as many black bins out, but tomorrow is now a blue bin scheduled day. Our black bin was filled yesterday on assumption it would be emptied Monday. Ah well, we'll get used to it, but there's a great need for better planning of details.

We got a leaflet this morning- in Jenkin road of s9 area our collection day was Monday but from now on will be Friday hopefully will manage.

Incidentally applications for larger bins are handled by waste management at carbrook not veolia. I think they'll do various checks inc council tax and electoral roll and home visits to check up on applications. You can get an extra blue box tho by asking veolia if you think you might need one.

thats where I am so hopefully we will get ours soon then and I'm guessing we'll be the same day. Daft question but was your blue bin on wednesdays? If so has that changed too?

I haven't a clue - no one had put their bins out. I didn't see a lorry go past, but we got up quite late and weren't in all day. Perhaps they did visit but were able to whizz straight past as there were no bins out to empty!

It appears there was no extra collection. I've rung Veolia this morning, and the young man on the phone kept telling me our next collection is Tuesday. I agreed that is the case for the black bins, but I quoted the green leaflet that we got which clearly states there would be an additional collection of blue bins/boxes on Sat 11th Aug. He said it was a mistake and would be noted. Not sure what good that will be!

I'm now off to return my blue bin & box to the back garden. They'll be collected on Tuesday 21st.

I have no problems with fortnightly collections, however, I do have a problem with misinformation. :rolleyes:

thats where I am so hopefully we will get ours soon then and I'm guessing we'll be the same day. Daft question but was your blue bin on wednesdays? If so has that changed too?

You are in same area as me next collection black bin fri 17 aug ...blue bin fri 24 aug..

Well, we've just had our first fortnightly black bin collection this morning. Our day was changed from a Tuesday to a Monday and we got our leaflet over a week ago as well as those little tag things they attach to your bin informing us of the changes, but there was hardly a bin out for collection on our road. We put our bin out last night and two of the neighbours followed suit, but nobody else. At least one of our neighbours came rushing out in her dressing gown with a look of panic on her face when she realised she had missed the collection... Oh dear... their bin won't be emptied for 3 weeks now....oops

Interestingly it looked like the driver of the bin wagon was taking notes of which households had put their bins out and which hadn't.

Our bins were collected on mondays, at 8 oclock sunday night i was putting the bin out along with the rest of the neighborhood. :)

Just put next doors out, she asked if they were being collected. I said "well we haven't had a leaflet saying otherwise". :|

Went back for ours and the dog started barking, we had a leaflet saying our collection was now going to be on Thursday. :mad:

The guy wasn't hangin about, probabally broke the record for the quickest leaflet delivery service in the world (shame it isn't an olympic event).

You could tell the direction he had travelled by the sequence of angry neighbours coming out onto the street growling and snarling before taking their bins back in. :rant:

I think if he had fell they would have torn him to pieces.

What a right old cack up.

If it was a new tesco opening I am sure the information would have been passed on in plenty of time.

Archived