Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Hands up if you voted Labour in the local elections??

If you did and your not happy about fornightly collections are you one of the negatives on this thread?

It was clear before the election one party would keep weekly collections and one would go to fornightly. The citizens made their choice back in May.

Was it clear? I don't think so. Who were we supposed to vote in, the Lib Dems who shafted us all previously or the Tories? Great choice all round...

Was it clear? I don't think so. Who were we supposed to vote in, the Lib Dems who shafted us all previously or the Tories? Great choice all round...

Where did the local LibDems shaft you? Yes, centrally they proverbally cocked it up but locally, im not sure where Sheffielders were shafted....

I dont recall the exact literature but yes, I do believe it was clear cut. Labour would go to 2 weeks and libdem would keep weekly.

Unfortunately, I suspect many people voted with their heart not their heads. I believe many voted for Labour to show Nick what a plank (on that we can all agree) he is in central government but unwisely as its now biting them on the proverbial arse. Would have been better waiting for/sticking to national voting to make that one count.

Edited by Spagbol

PS/ I will add to my previous comment aswell.

Hands up if you will be voting for Labour in the next local elections??

If you are and your not happy about fornightly collections are you one of the negatives on this thread?

If you are and your not happy about fornightly collections are you one of the negatives on this thread?

You seriously think people are going to rush forth and vote Lib Dem in Sheffield?

Guest sibon

Tell you what. It will be a very cold day in hell when I vote Lib Dem.

In any case, surely fortnightly bin collections are advantageous to the environment. They discourage waste and encourage recycling.

Are the Sheffield Lib Dems really such environmental vandals? ... Or have they not made their minds up about that yet?

Guest sibon
You seriously think people are going to rush forth and vote Lib Dem in Sheffield?

Snigger.

Not just in Sheffield. The Lib Dems are consigned to the dustbin of history. They will have to wait a couple of weeks to be collected though:D

If you think the bins collections are a problem , just wait until Amey's

( wholly-owned subsidiary of Spanish "Ferrovial" who already own the London Underground and various UK airports) are responsible for gritting Sheffield's streets , under a 25 year PFI contract .

How much confidence do you have in a spanish firm ( whose own economy is looking a bit dubious ) to run Sheffield's roads for the next 25 years ?

Veolia is just a taste of things to come unless we start opposing "globalisation" and the attitude that companies are now "too big to fail ", no-one is capable of monitoring them - Let's hope that Streets Ahead works out for Sheffield and costs us nowt :rolleyes:

Are the people of Sheffield different to those where I live? We've had fortnightly collections for over 3 years now and there's been no fly tipping..

The people of Sheffield are no different, but the availability of alternatives may be different and of course, everybody dislikes change, even if the changes in themselves aren't a great hardship.

The people I know who have fortnightly bin collections elsewhere have a much more complete recycling service than Sheffield, which helps to reduce the amount that ends up in the normal bins anyway (there are lots of recyclable things that you can't actually recycle in Sheffield recycling bins without going out of your way to collect and take them somewhere else).

Add this on to the sudden inability to take things to the tip for all of the midweek period and the fact that you now have to queue for a really quite long time to get into the tip to use it when it is open. This results in people who are used to being able to put things in the normal bin who will now need to take those things to a tip, but they can't take them to a tip anything like as easily as they could a few months ago.

How many of those people are going to say 'sod it, I'll just leave it here and the council can deal with it'? I'm not going to, and I don't agree with people doing it, but it's a pretty predictable response to all of the changes that are happening very quickly, don't you think?

If you think the bins collections are a problem , just wait until Amey's

( wholly-owned subsidiary of Spanish "Ferrovial" who already own the London Underground and various UK airports) are responsible for gritting Sheffield's streets , under a 25 year PFI contract .

How much confidence do you have in a spanish firm ( whose own economy is looking a bit dubious ) to run Sheffield's roads for the next 25 years ?

Veolia is just a taste of things to come unless we start opposing "globalisation" and the attitude that companies are now "too big to fail ", no-one is capable of monitoring them - Let's hope that Streets Ahead works out for Sheffield and costs us nowt :rolleyes:

I'm leaving the country.

Please , don,t ! Stay and fight , that was my dilemma

p!"£ off abroad and embrace an ex-pat lifestyle , or stay here and FIGHT for everything that needs to be put right in this beautiful country .

I've chosen to stay and take on those t""ssers who think they can control the weak and infirm , whilst paying a blind eye to their chums who are raking it in and funnelling money to their "off-shore accounts". We need to stop this by introducing more rigorous legislation - do you see the cons , libdems or labour doing this ????? So work it out for yourselves .....

Well I'm not really leaving...as I don't have the money, but you are right about all the main political parties being a load of crap for sure.