Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Whatever the number of collections, it ain't working.

Take a look at the Herries rd. dumpit site queue when you pass, now the hours are reduced also!

i went there earlier this week. i wasn't aware that the opening times had been reduced when i rolled up at 8am, hoping to dump the rubbish i had cleared out of the shed, before taking the kids to school.

i returned at a few minutes past 10am when it opened, and the traffic was already backed up onto herries road.

the council's decision to limit the opening times is making that area extremely dangerous, especially when some decide to block the road completely to avoid being queue-jumped by others approaching down the hill.

i parked up on the verge and carried my trash in on foot. took two trips, but still quicker than waiting with all the other sheep.

We had 5 collections every 4 weeks, we now have 4, that's a 20% reduction. The difficulty folks seem to be having is sorting out their recycleable rubbish, and throwing too much away!

No, in Sheffield it's now four collections in four weeks

It was:-

Week 1 Blue bin Black bin,

Week 2 Blue bin Black bin,

Week 3 Blue bin black bin,

Week 4 blue bin black bin,

that was eight collections in each four week period...

Now it's:-

Week 1 Blue bin

Week 2 Black bin

Week 3 Blue bin

Week 4 Black bin.

that's four collections in a four week period, not 5, and 4, when I went to school, 4 was exactly half of eight.

Blue Bin/Box was never weekly.

True. First it was blue bin only and monthly. Then it became bin and box. It became fortnightly too.

Sorry to bring this back up but just a quick update. Despite recycling as much as humanly possible our black bin is crammed almost fortnightly and absolutely reeks in this weather. We also have maggots crawling in the bin. Thanks council.

We already have fortnightly bin collections and some weeks do struggle, but on the whole recycle more. Just think it will increase the amount we take to the tip anyway. We are a family of three, so don't know how larger families will do it!!!!

we have our black bin emptied fortnightly its always full after the first week, but if you keep jumping on the bags and you can get lots more in

Quite right. It was once a fortnight.

Before that I think it was the tester period of once a month.