Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

Can I put garden rubbish in my black bin ? I have a very large garden so its soon going to get full up.:(

Can I put garden rubbish in my black bin ? I have a very large garden so its soon going to get full up.:(

Officially i'm not sure you can but if you bag it up they never find out.

No. You have to pay £12 for 8 clear bin bags and the council will then collect it separately. If you have a big garden it's tough luck.

Where did the local LibDems shaft you? Yes, centrally they proverbally cocked it up but locally, im not sure where Sheffielders were shafted....

I dont recall the exact literature but yes, I do believe it was clear cut. Labour would go to 2 weeks and libdem would keep weekly.

Unfortunately, I suspect many people voted with their heart not their heads. I believe many voted for Labour to show Nick what a plank (on that we can all agree) he is in central government but unwisely as its now biting them on the proverbial arse. Would have been better waiting for/sticking to national voting to make that one count.

to many people who vote on local elections vote on national issues libs did nothing wrong but clearing up labours mess from before the area i live has gone so downhill since labour got back in.

You seriously think people are going to rush forth and vote Lib Dem in Sheffield?

no because a lot vote because there friends voted or they dont look at issues labour screwed up sheffield big style and still people vote them in things might change now though

I've half filled my black bin with garden waste for the last four weeks, some loose stuff like grass cuttings and some bigger stuff like bits of small tree. It's been emptied no problem.

I'm leaving the country.

I did.

Here, I have two big 120l bins. One is for general waste, one for paper, plastic, glass etc. The general one gets collected once a week, the recycling one every two weeks. Seems to work OK.

Anything else that can be recycled/resold can be taken to the recycling centre (for free - even in my ute). If it doesn't fit in your bin, can't be recycled and you need to get rid of it at the tip, you pay by weight with a minimum $30 (call it three pints of beer in accurate conversion).

Every few months there's kerbside collection days. They alternate between green and household waste. Essentially, you wait till one of those days and then put anything you don't need anymore outside your house and it's picked up and taken to be recycled/disposed of by the council - furniture, electrical anything. All of it removed for nowt.

Amount of fly-tipping here? Unsurprisingly, I've not seen any yet.

hide it in the blue bin under the paper.....it all gets burn't.....or dumped in india..

Well we are still waiting for the leaflet that was coming on the 10th, the one that gives you the dates of your collection. They really are pathetic, yesterday morning on the radio they said everyone should have their leaflet, where is ours?

to many people who vote on local elections vote on national issues libs did nothing wrong but clearing up labours mess from before the area i live has gone so downhill since labour got back in.

Couldn't agree more.

Lib Dem set the budget when they were in control to include weekly bin collections. Labour got in and wanted money for other areas and blamed the cut backs saying there was no alternative but to have fortnightly collections which simply isnt true.

Personally I think it is terrible that not only will I have a smelly dog poo bin for a fortnight( have 2 labradors) but also have had the green sack scheme taken away which ( having a populated garden) I will either have to pay for or take garden waste to the dump. Labour certainly dont make life easy for residents, but as you say people are ignorant enough to vote on national rather than local issues.

No leaflet as of this morning for us on the triangle estate, but I have seen a bin lorry pass my house twice in 20 minutes, maybe the 3rd pass will result in my bin getting emptied?

Still, how can a quite-large black bin be full every week? What large items regularly take up that much volume?

Here's one answer for you:

Ditto for us. We've got 6 compost bins, generating twice as much compost as we can use, and a hour or two in the garden will fill a black bin no problem.

Trimming one of our neighbour's beech hedges is particularly difficult, and using the black bins, in conjunction with green bags, a bit of composing, and a bit of burning, is essential. Our black bins, even with weekly collection, are full every week in the summer months.

Fortnightly collection, in conjunction with the removal of green bags and restrictive access at the tips, is proving quite a challenge.