Sign in to follow this  

Students forcing Walkley family to move

Originally posted by JFKvsNixon

I don't know about students forcing people out from Walkley, but the recent fatal stabing and the shooting is making me think of moving on.

where ??

Originally posted by Internetowl

but they are still student scum ...they should learn respect like we did as kids.

tautology?

[edit] No, I always get these the wrong way round.

An oxymoron then? Well...self contradictory will have to suffice.

I'm a student myself and although not all students are scum of the earth i have met quite a few who are.

For example one of my flatmates is what i consider to be one o the lowest forms of life on earth.

He doesn't go to lectures, he spends most of the day smoking weed, goes out at night brings back what sounds like half of sheffield most nights and has partys till 5am. He smokes weed in the kitchen encourages his friends to do the same, he trashes the flat and eats other peoples food. He is also extremly loud and offensive as are his mates. He has caused fights after nights out and is a complete waster. How he got into uni i will never know.

The sooner he gets thrown out the better.

This is obviously not applicable to all students as alot of the people i've met are lovely, fabulous people. Its just the minority that brings us down.

as a graduate who has lived in halls, lived in crookes, moved back to my home town of stafford then came back to sheffield 2 years ago- i have to agree with absolutely everything everybody has said.

halls- the epitomy of the pits. 400 young people, who have never been unleashed on society before- hideous in every sense.

crookes- i liked living there the second year i was there. the first year was on clementson road- and the noise from school road travelled badly. at that point the road was made up 50/50 of students and families- i have no idea if the families are still there. the second year i lived on toftwood road, so quiet and peaceful (apart from when the BBC used to turn up at theball! lol) i loved crookes because of the community feel to the area- sadly, i feel the influx of students may have put pay to that.

then i went back to stafford and lived in one of the roughest bits of town- ok, not so bad by sheffield standards. but the point is the late night noise was worse, boy racers testing out they new stereos on the co-op car park, gangs of scallies hanging around the cash point at the co-op at at the bus stop. i didnt feel safe at all.

then i came back to sheffield and moved into leadmill court- loved the location, loved the flat, not so keen on the price, but hated the noise. i could guarantee that most nights i would be woken up by drunken caterwauling in the early hours when the leadmill and crasher kicked out. i hate to say it, most of the noise was not from native sheffielders- the very loud accents gave them away. and with the massive concentration of purpose built housing around there- yup you guessed it!

finally, now i live in hillsborough, just round the corner from the deep end. now its not the students, it the locals. i come home from work at the pub and i catch people using the gennel next to our house as a urinal. drunken football songs after home games. and sunday nights used to be awful- im glad the deep end has shut down. so, where are the students in hillsborough?

everybody is as much to blame as each other. whether you live in a student area or not, the noise and the anti social behaviour is almost always there.

those of you with families who have young children- have you considered how irritating your bawling child might be to someone who has been studying for the last week for important exams (not making a peep to disturb you)?

i dont want to pass blame or anything like that- im just trying to demonstrate that it really isnt just one party in particular.

sophie

x

Well put Sophiec

Back home in Crosby, there is no student population. However, the same things happen, noise at night, people hedge diving etc. The one link to the Sheffield problem is that it's caused by people.

Yes, that's where the problem is; people cause trouble!

I suggest that we get rid of all people and we'll be much happier. :)

Originally posted by matty17

where ??

Here are the links.

From the last 2 months:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4255724.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4464156.stm

From News Years eve 2003:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/3096853.stm

sophiec1979I live up Meadowhead way and don't get any of the comments you mentioned above and I'm thankful for it.

I grew up on Gleadless Valley council estate and am aware of anti social behaviour first hand.

However where I live now is quiet, family orientated, safe and comfortable.

We get the odd "boy racer" and I do mean not many of them and I use the term boy racer in it's loosest sense of the word.

I know what you mean that you get noise and bad behaviour everywhere you go. However you can find locations in Sheffield that are not like that and I'm thankful where I am now is one of those places.

Will it stay this way, who knows... but I do know it's good for me and mine right now so I'm happy.

Originally posted by Johnnywarren

I think the problem comes from young people today having no respect for anyone else.

Student or Chav, they all want locking up until they're 35.

And while we're at it, let's lock up anyone else that you don't like the look of. Fascist

Originally posted by DaBouncer

I know what you mean that you get noise and bad behaviour everywhere you go. However you can find locations in Sheffield that are not like that and I'm thankful where I am now is one of those places.

Will it stay this way, who knows... but I do know it's good for me and mine right now so I'm happy.

thats kind of why im a bit disappointed.

when i came back to sheffield i knew i had to live v near a tram route to get to work (easier, quickest, most convenient way to get to work). that meant that broomhill and crookes were out of the question. apart from that, i knew i didnt want to live in the studenty areas a) because of the students (no offence! lol) b) i wanted my working experience of sheffield to be totally different to my student experience

colleagues at work recommended hilssborough to start with- but i opted for city living. i loved it apart from the noise, so i thought hillsborough would be the right place to re-locate to.

it is...mostly. rent is ok, facilities, transport and shops are great. but that same old noise thing keeps cropping up and i dont appreciate my house becoming a 'convenience'.

i dont know, maybe im super sensitive and making a fuss. but i just hoped that where i am now would be different.

as an impoverished graduate (half my wages go on paying off my debts) i cant afford to live in a nice expensive quiet place, i also cant afford to buy a car to allow me to get from my nice quiet place to work, so please, everybody- if youre at hillsborough corner late at night- shhhhh! lol

sophie

x

ps. im only 26- does that mean i need to be locked up too? sh*t, and i thought i was one of the good guys who was trying to bring reason to this thread!

Don't you hate when locals create a racket when you're sleeping? It's so inconsiderate of people to make noise at 11am, they're just not thinking of others.

Originally posted by Slizor

Don't you hate when locals create a racket when you're sleeping? It's so inconsiderate of people to make noise at 11am, they're just not thinking of others.

if that was the case it wouldnt be a problem- except by 11am, ive already been at work for 3 and half hours!

sophie

x

Originally posted by Rich

If they're Uni Graduates, they're ex-students.. emphasis on EX...

Far be it for me to stick up for HIM.. But in this case he's possibly right, there's possibly no students in Eccleshall...

Oh and Alex, do you mind if we don't go into the infamous Eccleshall Road/Eccleshall debate again? It's just going over old ground and winds certain people up.

Going over the same ground,,,now that sounds familiar