Students forcing Walkley family to move

johnjo

All,

Just seen this on the Sheffield Star website.

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=1261382

I know similar threads have done the rounds before, but this issue is NEVER going to go away. I live on Ecclesall road, my bedroom faces it and a week doesn't go by without myself being woken up by someone/group shouting the odds. I don't have a problem at the weekend as im out and about myself but take issue when its' a "school night". Before anyone jumps in, im sure it's not always students who are to blame, but the blame should be proportionate to who live in my area. My Car bonnet currently sports 3 footmarks across the bonnet.

There are wider issues here as the article suggest. Families and communities are moving out of areas where homes are turned into places that can sleep 5+. More students than ever now have access to a Car so side roads are jammed. Business are effected as fast-food places and kebab houses replace Butchers, Post officers etc. Broomhall is an example.

I'm sure someone is about to state to me what students bring to the City and how they fill jobs in bars and restaurants etc, but that is a chicken and egg thing. The many Bars and Restaurants that we boast are due directly and indirectly supported by the large student population we have.

I am NOT anti-student, I used to be one. I just think a little respect for neighbours and their property is due.

Take issue with the landlords, mate. They're the ones cramming 6+ students into houses originally built for three!

(I'm always quiet on my way home. Simple measures - why can't they put up big signs saying SHHHHHHH BABIES ASLEEP IN THIS AREA?)

By the way, your link is to a lee evans story? :)

I've lived in the Ecclesall area for 4 years now, and although the local students do make noise (as do I), I've found the real problems are caused by some of the school kids at High Storrs and King Edwards. I mentioned in a post earlier that there's recently been a large increase in the number of scallies hanging around.

This has happened in a MAJOR way in Leeds.

Headingley, once a beautiful family area, now almost entirely consists of the dreaded 'houses of multiple occupation'. Whether they're lived in by students, or asylum seekers, or office workers in their 20s sharing with friends, is almost immaterial really - the whole area is becoming/has become a slum in just a few short years. There's just too many people living in too small an area, and it's all falling apart.

You can hardly find a family left in Headingley, and those that are still there, are desperately trying to leave. It's no area to bring children up in today. Apart from anything else, there aren't any other kids around for them to play with!

Some of the longer-standing residents formed a group to try to encourage residents who were selling up to sell only to other families, but it was too late. :( The prices had shot up to the level where only landlords could afford to buy them, and in any case, there were so few families left by then, the area had lost its appeal. I don't think it's nice to try to raise kids where you have no idea who lives next door to you, and in any case, your neighbours change every year.

Personally, I blame the landlords for being greedy b*******. They shove 6 or 7 people into a property only designed for maybe 3 residents, and most of the houses on the street are in the same situation. The infrastructure simply can't cope, and the local 'social contract' breaks down. Everybody loses, except..... the landlords! Totally hate them - modern parasites.

It's such a shame - and I can see Broomhill - amd maybe Crookes - going exactly the same way as Headingley. :(

StarSparkle

Originally posted by StarSparkle

Personally, I blame the landlords for being greedy b*******. They shove 6 or 7 people into a property only designed for maybe 3 residents, and most of the houses on the street are in the same situation. The infrastructure simply can't cope, and the local 'social contract' breaks down. Everybody loses, except..... the landlords! Totally hate them - modern parasites.

Landlords are like any other businessman/woman; they are trying to make money.

If you owned a 2 bedroomed house that you were planning on letting, and could potentially double your income by converting one of the ground floor rooms into another bedroom, wouldn't you do it? I know I would.