Students forcing Walkley family to move

johnjo

Originally posted by StarSparkle

The point I was trying to make is that a large number of today's students do NOT go on to become a member of a profession.

JGHarston seemed to be saying 'Where would our society be without all these students?', citing their usefulness as future professionals. I was pointing out that a high percentage of students do not join a profession after they graduate.

StarSparkle

I have a sneaking suspicion that the increase in student numbers from 20% of the population to 50% means that that 20% of hard working pre-professionals have been joined by a 30% who are there for different reasons.

Certainly when I was at university in the 1980s there was a huge drop in numbers from year one to year two as all those who just weren't capable of doing a university course flunked out. Some even stated openly that they were there as a soft alternative to signing on.

--

JGH

Originally posted by t020

By "Eccleshall" you mean the Ecclesall Road area. There's no students up in the area of Ecclesall (although the sprawl from the centre outwards is reaching as far up as Greystones and Banner Cross now).

Oh, do give it a rest, T020 :rolleyes:

You really are tiresome.

StarSparkle

Oh, do give it a rest, T020 :rolleyes:

You really are tiresome.

StarSparkle

Maybe, but you shouldn't misrepresent things, intentionally or otherwise. Ecclesall itself contains few, if any, university students.

"There's nothing wrong with students, if it wasn't for them, Crookes and Broomhill would be like Ghost towns at night etc."

I reckon most of the residents of Crookes and Broomhill (student or otherwise) want their areas to be 'like ghost towns' at night - i.e. quiet and peaceful. Or am I being a boring, old-fashioned git?

Originally posted by jgharston

I have a sneaking suspicion that the increase in student numbers from 20% of the population to 50% means that that 20% of hard working pre-professionals have been joined by a 30% who are there for different reasons.

That is my sneaking suspicion as well..... :P

StarSparkle :)

That is my sneaking suspicion as well..... :P

StarSparkle :)

"50% of the population" is a false figure. That would be 30m people. The *target* is 50% of SCHOOL/COLLEGE leavers, but it's currently at about 44% of them going into higher education. This is not of "the population" as a whole.

Maybe, but you shouldn't misrepresent things, intentionally or otherwise. Ecclesall itself contains few, if any, university students.

Oh dear, I am so careless, how will I live with myself? I must give myself a firm telling-off :rolleyes:

It seems to be a matter of little importance to anyone but you. Get over yourself.

StarSparkle

Oh dear, I am so careless, how will I live with myself? I must give myself a firm telling-off :rolleyes:

It seems to be a matter of little importance to anyone but you. Get over yourself.

StarSparkle

I'm not "under myself". It's irrelevant how much of an issue you PERCEIVE it to be for other people. At the end of the day, most people wouldn't like false slurs against the area in which they live. I'm no different. Judging how important an issue is ob behalf of nearly 20,000 people? Get over yourself.

"50% of the population" is a false figure. That would be 30m people. The *target* is 50% of SCHOOL/COLLEGE leavers, but it's currently at about 44% of them going into higher education. This is not of "the population" as a whole.

If you bothered to read my previous posts properly, you will find that is EXACTLY what I said - 50% of the school-leaving population going into some form of higher education, NOT the population of the UK as a whole.

No apology necessary. :D

StarSparkle

If you bothered to read my previous posts properly, you will find that is EXACTLY what I said - 50% of the school-leaving population going into some form of higher education, NOT the population of the UK as a whole.

No apology necessary. :D

StarSparkle

Originally posted by jgharston

That is my sneaking suspicion as well.....

StarSparkle